A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the leather in A8s urethane coated like most all

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Is the leather in A8s urethane coated like most all

auto manufacturer's leather ?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never seen any ureethane coating on ony Audi/VAG leather product.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's my question...

Originally Posted by richard-tx
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never seen any ureethane coating on ony Audi/VAG leather product.
90% or more of leather used in the Auto industry has a urethane coating. But I am wondering is Audi A8s are part of the 10% that do not. Most people who have the coated leather do no know that it is coated, it doesnt seem to be something you can tell by looking or touching.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd venture to say the leather in my A8 is a level or three higher than that in my sporty <choke> Ford Fusion. Relax, it's a company lease car I got with my new job.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

It’s coated like virtually all automotive grade leather. Easy way to tell is to put a drop of water on it and it won’t get sucked up into the leather, just sit as a droplet on the surface.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
Is the leather in A8s urethane coated like most all auto manufacturer's leather ?
Why do you ask?

The answers were very interesting, and so is the question. The reason may be interesting as well - it may come 'handy' someday to know that.
Several days ago, I read a post about (re)painting leather seats, and it's something I did in the past but didn't like the result (actually, the painting went fine but it didn't last, especially when tried to clean it with various solutions that were just fine with the original paint) so I ended up replacing the whole upholstery. Many $ spent. Now I find out that the leather may be coated - so there's a reason why that didn't work.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I ask because I just learned about most leather having the urethane sealer, and what products to use on the leather are different between the two types.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
I ask because I just learned about most leather having the urethane sealer, and what products to use on the leather are different between the two types.
Good question Awdinut,
Make one wonder about all those expensive PH-balanced leather cleaners and conditioners..... maybe we should just use wood floor polish....

Attached Thumbnails Is the leather in A8s urethane coated like most all-us3298856-0.png  
Old 01-30-2018, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Good question Awdinut,
Make one wonder about all those expensive PH-balanced leather cleaners and conditioners..... maybe we should just use wood floor polish....

In short they do nothing, just sit on the surface and make it feel greasy.

The only way the conditioners can actually do anything is where there are perforations in the leather that exposes the raw leather beneath the surface coating. So where there’s stitching, perforations, areas where the coating has worn off, etc.

To effectively paint pigmented and sealed leather as is installed in the A8, you need to sand off the top surface of sealer, apply the paint, then if it’s not a paint/sealer in one, then also apply the sealer. Pretty much exactly like the clear coat over the actual paint on the bodywork.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's what I have been reading about....

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Good question Awdinut,

They say that conditioners do no good on coated leather because they just sit on the surface. And that would seem to make sense; there's a barrier. They say that cleaning is the only thing you can do for your interior; keeping that coating clean so that it does not get abraided away. And many sources have said that a 5 to 1 or a 10 to 1 mix of Woolite to distilled water is the best cleaner.

I have not tried that, although the videos looked good....matte finish, no removal of color, etc.....but I need to sniff the stuff first. I cant imagine a laundry product having scent I could tolerate. Especially in a closed environment like my car. I mean I use free&clear laundry detergent for my clothes because I cant abide the fragrance detergents have.

Quick Reply: Is the leather in A8s urethane coated like most all