A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

know of a very high quality wheel refinishing shop ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default know of a very high quality wheel refinishing shop ?

A shop you used several years ago and the finish still looks great ? Any city is OK; we dont have a good shop in KC, so my wheels will have to be sent somewhere.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rim Pro is one of the best in the industry.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have you had wheels done by them ? How long ago and how have they held up ? What city are they in ?
Old 12-15-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

I've used Rimpro a number of years ago to fix an AMG wheel on my MBz. I think they're in Tewksbury, north of Boston. I was less than thrilled with the way they machined the lip of the wheel...it no longer matched the other wheels. I didn't realize they were still in business. Haven't heard their name mentioned for years.

I hear some of the pro detailers talk about Wheel America in PA. I guess they have a very good reputation. Don't have any experience.

FWIW, I've seen some of these local, mobile wheel repair guys that travel between the hi-line dealerships crank out near-perfect work for cheap $$$.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for chiming in on Rimpro....its the machining that is the critical ( and tricky) part about doing these Bentely wheels. The spokes are painted but the rim and 'loops' are turned. The local shop that did them two years ago did a bad job of turning and the powder coat is breaking-up and falling off. So this time I want to be certain that the shop is very skilled before I shell out the money.

Unfortunately Wheels America PA is a franchise....like WA Dallas, WA San Francisco, etc etc. And horrible reviews as would be expected when something involving craftsmanship is franchised. I need a one of one local shop that has been in business for a long time...if you do bad work you cant stay in business for a long time.

Last edited by awdinut; 12-15-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

Have you checked in at the Bentley forum? Any help there?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 492 Posts

Do you mean the wheels in your pic BTW?

FWIW, when I had the W12 "old style" RS6 9 spoke forged 20" wheels refinished, it was tricky. First, the two tone on wheels like those take a whole bunch of masking time. Second, the common technique seems to be to flycut the wheel face to deal with curb rash, especially when you need to get back to a polished or machined finish look. That is what Wheels America did (they are a chain; company was mentioned earlier in thread). The trouble with that is they really should back off on the cutting as they get anywhere near the center. What happens otherwise is the recess where the center cap fits into gets cut away and the remaining pocketed area too shallow. Then the cap sits out from the rest of the wheel face and doesn't look right at a detail level. Hence why I asked about wheels in pic--or the original 9 spoke W12 factory forged wheels I had early on.

I have used Wheels America several times. They have a more reasonable price than others accessible in SF Bay Area. But the work is also sort of commodity. I probably reject ⅓ to ½ of the wheels they have done for me over last 10 years. They have a no quibble guaranty, so they just re run it. The most common issue is they don't shoot the clear coat evenly on the inside of the barrel. Since I now typically tell them to watch for that, you would think they would get it right... I rejected another (one time ony) for orange peel sort of look to some of clear coat. The fly cut stuff though is a repair you can't really undo once they mess it up. Thus with those inset center cap styles you really have to be hard nosed about the work spec. and know the steps and technique they will use. There is another local shop I use here some, but it is a another $75-100/per wheel and I think needs a local visit to get best results and attention. One of those old school, grime and dust everywhere, 40 year old tired counter piled with junk, tattoo kinds of places too. But the work and the paint cleanliness have been solid.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-15-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rim shop on OBT near 528 in Orlando did mine. Diamond cut and clear coat on the factory 19” 12 spoke. Holy cow to they sparkle in the street lights at night. big improvement over stock. Like 125 a wheel. BUT I had a bent one and the shop showed me on Friday that they WELDED the rim to straighten it. Tire shop refused to mount on it and was a waste of 125 on that one - looks nice but they said it’s VERY DANGEROUS to put a welded aluminum wheel on, so its a yard ornament now.