A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key stuck in the ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key stuck in the ignition switch

Hey guys. I have a serious issue here, my key is stuck in the ignition switch and i have no access to the truck (only have one key) because the key is stuck and the car battery is dead. the only access to the truck is the small panel that opens up for the ski bag. sad to say that i had to cut away the ski bag to see into the trunk but i just cant reach the battery connectors. is there away to remove the key from the ignition? or is there anyway that i can boost the car w/o the plugging up to the actual battery?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is a small button on the ignition switch that you can press with a pin and it will let the key slide out.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably didn't see it in the rush. Next time before hacking away just give the dealership a call, they could've told you that over the phone.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by daamerikandream1
Hey guys. I have a serious issue here, my key is stuck in the ignition switch and i have no access to the truck (only have one key) because the key is stuck and the car battery is dead. the only access to the truck is the small panel that opens up for the ski bag. sad to say that i had to cut away the ski bag to see into the trunk but i just cant reach the battery connectors. is there away to remove the key from the ignition? or is there anyway that i can boost the car w/o the plugging up to the actual battery?
You can get battery chargers that have a cigarette lighter connection, so you could trickle charge the car through that which should get the electrics working again.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daamerikandream1
Pull out your Owner's Manual it's in there. There is a Small Cover that needs to be removed First and then just use something Pointed to Release the Key. Get a Battery Charger so that this doesn't happen to you again. Good luck and laters,

Last edited by williebone; 01-24-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Since you already cut the ski sack away, can't you operate the "kid is stuck in the trunk" lever on the road side interior of the trunk lid? It is glow in the dark. A looooong broom handle or remote paint roller extension or some kind of gardening tool you might have can be used.

Just a thought.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Since you already cut the ski sack away, can't you operate the "kid is stuck in the trunk" lever on the road side interior of the trunk lid? It is glow in the dark. A looooong broom handle or remote paint roller extension or some kind of gardening tool you might have can be used.

Just a thought.
Or I can give you my trunk latch that doesn't latch when the temp is below 30!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
Or I can give you my trunk latch that doesn't latch when the temp is below 30!
We've covered that on this thread before. I've opened mine up (the latch drive assembly), cleaned up all of the grease and regreased the spline and gear assembly. I used old fashioned MBI instrument grease. However, Lubriplate white grease should be just as good. Lubriplate grease is sold at Home Despot(sic) in the Genie® garage door opener parts section as screw drive lubricant.

Or, [sarcasm on] go the s4master1 route and replace the assembly. You can have your A8L flatbedded to his shop in Culver City, CA (fee applies) like a couple of his customers do or just take it to a shop. His shop sees about 20 A8's a month so he's gotta be doing something right [sarcasm off].
Old 01-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your help, my local dealer isnt very friendly with advice. But wish i would have read the book b4 killing the ski bag although bc i cut it so clean n close i think it could be reattached. That little button worked used a toothpick and it worked like a charm.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default key stuck issue

I had the same problem. Mine is an 05 model, but that year does not have the little hole to remove the key manually. Since you cut out the ski pack just use the child locked in trunk lever and open it that way. Good luck!!