A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting D3 S8 project for someone

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting D3 S8 project for someone

To me this sounds like a doable project car for someone. Doesn't seem like you could get hurt too bad given the price and of course hes willing to negotiate:
Audi S8 4DR Sedan | eBay
Old 04-12-2016, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterp27
To me this sounds like a doable project car for someone. Doesn't seem like you could get hurt too bad given the price and of course hes willing to negotiate:
Audi S8 4DR Sedan | eBay
I think he is talking a bit bs about the suspension sagging.
It's either working or scrapping the ground.
Same oil for power steering and suspension ?.?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

"i do belive the suspenssion and sterring problem are related because they use same suspension fluid and its one system"!? Never heard of anything like that. Anyone got a clue of what could be up with that?

The suspension could be as easy as changing the relay or a fuse? ...But the powersteering?
Old 04-13-2016, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It sounds like a good project for a DIY'er, maybe. I'd want to take a scan of the car before making any kind of decision, though. Why's the engine bay so dirty?
Old 04-13-2016, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like corrosion on the motor as well.
A bit hard to tell.
Probably recovered theft and flogged off by insurance company.

Last edited by storka; 04-13-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Really? Sounds like BS to me. Description is like the fakes I get from Craiglist ad responses where the punctuation is incorrect, wording is awkward and the use of, "I am a business man" or something goofy like that that nobody would ever really say. "i did drove the car" and anxious to make a deal are huge red flags for me.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default of course it's BS and.......

there are red flags laced all thru his ebay ad, but i bet he'd take the first 10K that shows up. English is a second language for him so I'd give him a pass on that part.......It's definitely a theft recovery as he states it was purchased thru an Insurance auction. I bet a young adjuster saw the suspension sagging after it sat in their recovery lot and went back and told his boss its a loss and to sell it at auction. Now though, since an individual has it, someone could go run a scan, see if/how well the motor runs, and do some simple diagnostics on the suspension. As far as the comment about the power steering and suspension using the same fluid, that's just a pure lack of knowledge of the car......he's selling at this point. I bet it blew a PS hose and drained all the fluid and now the steering is really difficult. When the PS hose on my car went bad and lost its fluid, it was a complete bitch to turn at low speed. The only thing that would keep me from buying this car (as a project) is that its lacking B&O and doesn't have the extended leather package. For someone who doesn't care about those things and is a good DIY'er, this could be a great driveway project. Now, if the motor is bad........whole different story unless you've got mad wrenching skills and a shop to rebuild a motor in. I have never heard of a V10 going bad though. I am sure they have, I've just never seen it. These motors are extremely well built and I bet its something relatively simple.
It looks like the car is in Florida. Someone here who lives near Myrtle Beach outta go have a look see.

Originally Posted by BrianE
Really? Sounds like BS to me. Description is like the fakes I get from Craiglist ad responses where the punctuation is incorrect, wording is awkward and the use of, "I am a business man" or something goofy like that that nobody would ever really say. "i did drove the car" and anxious to make a deal are huge red flags for me.

Last edited by hunterp27; 04-13-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Looks to me like it's been under water. That engine bay has a lot of corrosion which it shouldn't have, and the leather looks water damaged.

That would explain suspension failure too as the compressor is screwed from being under water. Power steering, who knows, could be collapsed suspension causing some rubbing somewhere, or a blown hose.

If it's water damaged, probably not worth it even as a project. Terminally screwed.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

The more you look at it, the worse it looks.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Looks to me like it's been under water. That engine bay has a lot of corrosion which it shouldn't have, and the leather looks water damaged.

That would explain suspension failure too as the compressor is screwed from being under water. Power steering, who knows, could be collapsed suspension causing some rubbing somewhere, or a blown hose.

If it's water damaged, probably not worth it even as a project. Terminally screwed.
This was my first thought after looking at the engine bay. Definitely water damaged. And that's a lot of unknown mileage on that car with nothing but retitling on the autocheck.

Not worth it at all.

Quick Reply: Interesting D3 S8 project for someone