A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illuminated Door Sills Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=Galco;24541851]Thanks again for you installation suggestions and technical input. I think you are correct, you were the only other US D3 owner that I found that had experience with these sills. There are others scattered through Europe, but very few of those as well.

Yes,they were only offered in Europe, and I imagine that cost was the reason not many sets were ever sold. They were a Quattro GmBh (read expensive) option and I think they cost about $1000. Whats more, most A8 owners would have had the dealer install them, and I cant even guess at how much time/money it would have taken to have them installed by the insane-cover-your-***-procedure that Audi specified for their installation !!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dealer quoted me $1K to install!

[QUOTE=awdinut;24541918]
Originally Posted by Galco
Thanks again for you installation suggestions and technical input. I think you are correct, you were the only other US D3 owner that I found that had experience with these sills. There are others scattered through Europe, but very few of those as well.

Yes,they were only offered in Europe, and I imagine that cost was the reason not many sets were ever sold. They were a Quattro GmBh (read expensive) option and I think they cost about $1000. Whats more, most A8 owners would have had the dealer install them, and I cant even guess at how much time/money it would have taken to have them installed by the insane-cover-your-***-procedure that Audi specified for their installation !!
Shortly after I received the kit and read the through the 30 pages of instructions, I was like, holly smokes, i'm not sure if I want to tackle taking out 1/2 the dash for these sills. So I showed the instructions to the shop foreman at my local dealer and he came back with $1,000 labor only! Suspect they didn't really want the project and if they were asked to do, they wanted to be paid well for it.

There was no way I could justify that cost in my mind. Hence the DIY garage project with a few friends who couldn't wait to see if I would really drill a hole in my Audi beauty. They took pictures in disbelief. Anyway, its done and they look great!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default D4 does have them...

Originally Posted by awdinut
I should think you and I have the only illuminated D3 A8 sills in the US ? I believe they are offered in the US on D4 A8s now, but they are not very striking as the size of the lighted graphic is quite small if memory serves me correctly.
You are almost correct. I believe the illuminated sills are standard on the D4, but they are only a rectangle - no logo. I was messing around on the Audi UK site the other day (wow can you customize a car for order over there) and saw that you could order custom illuminated sills on a D4. So, it could say Audi or your name or a phrase or whatever. Pretty cool. I think they were like $2500, but that would be a nice touch.

I tried to find a set of these for my D3, but never could. Nice job on the install - they look great!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hats off! Well done! Beautiful job. Now come to NC and do mine!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lgball
You are almost correct. I believe the illuminated sills are standard on the D4, but they are only a rectangle - no logo.
Correct. I think mine say Audi or A8, will look later today.

That is the one 'mod' that I really wanted to do on the D3.
Never could bring myself to do the drilling though
Looks superb Galco !
Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This looks great. I usually do not like LED modes but this one got me. I would do it today if I can find parts for acceptable money. Definitely not scared of drilling. It is aluminum and plastic. Won't rust.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, but not LED, rather a form of florescent type strips. The light is softer than LED and although white in color temperature, not as white as LED. They have more of a soft glow like a florescent bulb so they are not harsh on the eye.

You are correct the drilling is through plastic bits and the aluminum body, so no risk of corrosion.

Last edited by Galco; 02-19-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mishar
I would do it today if I can find parts for acceptable money.
Maybe your CNC prowess combined with an Electroluminescent panel ?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Jake. I really like those glowing panels. Some ideas already brewing.

May be this one is that technology?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jakematic
Correct. I think mine say Audi or A8, will look later today.
Gah! Forgot to look, will check later.
EDIT: Checked, no lettering. Rear is the same.
Name:  IMG_0953_zpsc548cdf1.jpg
Views: 3681
Size:  79.9 KB

Originally Posted by mishar
Thanks Jake. I really like those glowing panels. Some ideas already brewing.

May be this one is that technology?
I think you are correct.
Found this old thread by adwinut and he references EL https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...51&postcount=1

Last edited by jakematic; 02-19-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: additional info / picture

Quick Reply: Illuminated Door Sills Installed