A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I purchased the 2005 Audi A8L, some additional questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I purchased the 2005 Audi A8L, some additional questions

I pulled the trigger on the 05 Audi after I got it inspected in the dealership. They said everything looks good except the rear tires need to be changed and the battery didn't pass their load tests and that needs to be replaced.

They quoted 500-550 for the tires and 450 for the battery.

The battery seems fine to me for now but I do intend on getting that changed very soon but the tires I want to address ASAP. Would there be any negative consequences of just changing the rear tires. I called one of the tire shops in my area and they said for AWD they have to do all 4 because it could damage the transmission. I intend on getting the tire change at Discount Tire or Firestone just to save money.

So basically do you guys suggest doing these 2 things at the Audi dealership or would it be okay for me to do it elsewhere?

Also the car needs quite a bit of interior detailing which I plan to do this weekend but for the price and mileage I think I got a great deal.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You can replace just two rear tires. Best is to buy same as fronts. It won't hurt your transmission. Yo can buy just a regular battery that fits size and power. It shouldn't be much more than $100.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is that true? I thought the max allowable diff between the tires is 3-4mm
Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll just do all 4. I'm going to have the front two inspected at the tire store, I'll just probably end up selling those.

Mishar, with the battery I've heard lots of stuff about reprogramming and etc. Is that true? Can I just get a normal mechanic to do the battery?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by theicon14
I'll just do all 4. I'm going to have the front two inspected at the tire store, I'll just probably end up selling those.

Mishar, with the battery I've heard lots of stuff about reprogramming and etc. Is that true? Can I just get a normal mechanic to do the battery?
Four new tires are twice better than just two. If you can sell them they must be very good, so you may reconsider. What brand they are.

Battery should be recoded after replacing, but it is very basic, just to tell Power Management Module that there is a new battery. All that you can do, if it is not OEM battery with same number format, is to change a single digit in the old number. If that is not done Battery Management Module will figure it out in some time itself. In your case, old battery still working as you said, coding won't make any difference.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Four new tires are twice better than just two. If you can sell them they must be very good, so you may reconsider. What brand they are.

Battery should be recoded after replacing, but it is very basic, just to tell Power Management Module that there is a new battery. All that you can do, if it is not OEM battery with same number format, is to change a single digit in the old number. If that is not done Battery Management Module will figure it out in some time itself. In your case, old battery still working as you said, coding won't make any difference.
They are Continental tires and I only got the rear 2 replaced. Went to the tire store and they pretty much said the front 2 are like brand new, so we ordered the same tires for the rear, so all is well now.

Also I assume with the Battery I would probably need to take that into a shop as I can't recode it myself.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It seems that you don't really have any problem with your battery. Only that it didn't pass load test at the dealership. If it is so you may wait for some early signs of bad battery before you replace it. At first your keyless entry will not work every time and some other not essential features too.