A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I performed a JHM ECU TCU calibration............

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I performed a JHM ECU TCU calibration............

......the difference is very noticeable. The car is more hyper and the shifts are more crisp. Gone is the lethargic shifting. It is the best upgrade I have performed on the car.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

Strange, i never noticed my D3 to be lethargic...in fact, compared to my D5, it literally jump off the line. Can't imagine why you would want/need more.

Last edited by A8bil; 07-05-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A8bil
Strange, i never noticed my D3 to be lethargic...in fact, compared to my D5, it literally jump off the line. Can't imagine why you would want/need more.
The shifting on D3 S8s specially in tiptronic is one of the most lethargic that I've ever experienced. There is a great deal of flare.

Last edited by TomaS8; 07-07-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomaS8
......the difference is very noticeable. The car is more hyper and the shifts are more crisp. Gone is the lethargic shifting. It is the best upgrade I have performed on the car.
I'd love to know the details of how this was done. Care to share? Is it something anyone with VCDS can perform?
Old 07-05-2022, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by njroute22
I'd love to know the details of how this was done. Care to share? Is it something anyone with VCDS can perform?
You have to go to jhmotorsports.com and buy the tune (I did them both ECU and TCU) and their dongle. A VCDS cable will not work.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by TomaS8
The shifting on D3 S8s specially in tiptronic is the one of the most lethargic that I've ever experienced. There is a great deal of flare.
Not sure what flare is...are you referring to how long it takes for the transmission to find a gear after hard acceleration?
Old 07-06-2022, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A8bil
Not sure what flare is...are you referring to how long it takes for the transmission to find a gear after hard acceleration?
Yes. They build these luxury barges toned down for US markets. The clutch stays engaged (causing greater wear) longer than necessary so the shifting cannot be felt (luxury car feel) and the car rides as seamlessly as possible. This, needless to say, slows down the car and the car losses that crisp sports-like feel.

Last edited by TomaS8; 07-06-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Always confused why folks buy a luxury car and then mod/ruin it to be like a (bad) sportscar. Just buy a sports car. Right tool for the job, etc.

Anyway, what are the new shifts like? Still luxury car smooth at normal pace? Just quicker in tiptronic/S mode, or is it a snappy jerky mess now throughout now?
The following users liked this post:
KoJackee (07-22-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tomas - it sounds like you love the mod. Question for you...did you do both at the same time? I know APR has a tune for the ECU, but the increase in HP and torque on a NA motor aren't very impressive. Conversely, on my son's 2.0t it makes a stunning increase that just isn't possible with a NA motor like the V-10. I saw your link and looked at what JHM offered...I couldn't find any information on the HP/Torque increase claims, but also read their tune is maximized for aftermarket exhaust systems. Anyway, I was mostly curious if you had done the ECU first and if that provided any noticeable improvement outside of the TCU mode.

Like I said, I'm mostly just curious and really don't have any plans to flash either the ECU or TCU.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Always confused why folks buy a luxury car and then mod/ruin it to be like a (bad) sportscar. Just buy a sports car. Right tool for the job, etc.

Anyway, what are the new shifts like? Still luxury car smooth at normal pace? Just quicker in tiptronic/S mode, or is it a snappy jerky mess now throughout now?
My car is not ruined, it is waaaaay better. If you drove my car you would fall in love with it too
It was my impression that the "S"8 is considered to be a "sports" luxury sedan, thereby the bigger brakes, the lowered suspension and the higher torque and horsepower....I could be totally wrong.
It's a great feeling to have comfort and performance in one package.
I am all for improving my car in any way I can specially when it comes to performance. None of the cars I've owned have remained stock.

Driving it in D is normal although you can feel it shifting tighter and quicker. Driving it in Tip is power right here right now. Exhaust sound is different too, gone is the raspiness.

Last edited by TomaS8; 07-06-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: I performed a JHM ECU TCU calibration............