A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a driver's side outer tail light...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I need a driver's side outer tail light...

pre-2008. Anyone have an extra to sell ?
Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Usually some on ebay, although mainly euro spec. US spec are harder to come by and are usually overpriced as a result to not warrant the saving over a new unit.

Sometimes the internals are available on ebay if all you need is to fix some blown LEDs, although this can also be caused by the circuit board which is bad and I've never come across those for sale.

My drivers side rear side marker light went out and it was the circuit board at fault. Not worth the 250-300 bucks to fix so just unplugged the corresponding lights on the passenger side to even up the look. Same as Euro spec then, and no error codes either.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default the electronics/board arent the problem...

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Usually some on ebay, although mainly euro spec. US spec are harder to come by and are usually overpriced as a result to not warrant the saving over a new unit.

Sometimes the internals are available on ebay if all you need is to fix some blown LEDs, although this can also be caused by the circuit board which is bad and I've never come across those for sale.

My drivers side rear side marker light went out and it was the circuit board at fault. Not worth the 250-300 bucks to fix so just unplugged the corresponding lights on the passenger side to even up the look. Same as Euro spec then, and no error codes either.
when my trunk hinge snapped in two this winter that allowed the trunk lid to get sideways enough to pull the lens partially away from the tail light housing, and thereby create a large crack in the lens.

So, if someone has replaced a light with a bad board and still has the tail light, I could make one good light from two bad ones by transferring my board.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need a right side outer tail light...turn signal and brake lights work fine but at times it will not illuminate with lights on giving me a brake light warning up in dash. I also need the 2 inner lights due to water getting in them. If anyone out there has some or can tell me how to fix these it would be great.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default STFA

Originally Posted by Mike141
I need a right side outer tail light...turn signal and brake lights work fine but at times it will not illuminate with lights on giving me a brake light warning up in dash. I also need the 2 inner lights due to water getting in them. If anyone out there has some or can tell me how to fix these it would be great.
There's a control circuit board in the left inner IIRC and if it gets wet... Dry it, clean it, seal it and if you're living right you'll be all better.

Meantime drill 1/8" holes in the bottom where the water pools.

Common problem, Germans are not so good with plastics... or are they SO good they can plan such obsolescence?

Think about it...

-Tom

PS Not kidding next parts order replace your brakelight switch. Like $15 and certain to fail, giving rise to all sorts of DTCs... just do not depress the plunger before installing because it self adjusts oNCE and I mean once. =)