A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i know another stinking led ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default what bulbs do you want to replace?

Originally Posted by wildwilly1
do you have anything showing how to do this on what to buy where to buy and how to hook everything up pics would be great
I can get a hold of a few PTCs and Rloads, tell me what bulbs you want to replace, I make a set for you, just have to splice to the bulb wires using speaker wires. Run the wires to the metal box and never have to worry about the LEDS ever again. I should drill a hole on the plastic cover and run wires through a rubber grommet, but I didn't have time and it worked fine even being pinched.

Cheers,

Louis
PS: pick up the wife today at work...

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 12-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have changed the drls and the small parking lights that mount right beside them if you pm me and help me get this fixed I will pay you for your trouble and whatever material we need thank you much
Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your Christmas Present from California

I have changed the drls and the small parking lights that mount right beside them if you pm me and help me get this fixed I will pay you for your trouble and whatever material we need thank you much
Show me your DRL & Parking, yours must be 06 because 05 lights are different. Post the pictures of your bulbs here, either on the car or outside.

It takes time and work to install these, make sure the bulbs are not the cheapo with tons of little LEDs on them like Mishar's DRL. Avoid millions of tiny SMD LEDS mounted on a bulb, the brightness comes from Quality LEDS and not the Quantity of LEDS, it doesn't work.

These 2 types I bought from these guys have been working for months without a hitch. They're inexpensive and proven working.

for parking light, I use <a href="http://www.tomtop.com/car-accessories/car-lights/car-led-light-bulbs/t10-w5w-194-168-4-5050-smd-1w-lamp-bead-led-car-wedge-light-bulb-lamp-1-5w-white-k837.html">these T10-194-5W</a>.
for DRL I use <a href=http://www.tomtop.com/car-accessories/car-lights/car-led-light-bulbs/1156-ba15s-7-5w-white-turn-signal-tail-brake-stop-light-bulb-lamp-k780.html">these 1156 7.5W</a>.

The only problem is they take a few weeks to ship to the US.

You will need:

4-PTCs - 250mA = $3 x 4 = $12.
2-Rload 50-60 ohm 5w for parking bulbs = $2.5x2 = $5.
2-Rload 25-35 ohm 50W for DRL bulbs = $4 x 2 = $8.

I'll solder the PTCs and Rloads with stripped wires, all you do is to splice them to your socket wires.

I run the wire from the driver side to the box - passenger side.
The reason for doing this is if I need to change the PTC or RLoad, I don't have to mess around with the light assembly, and if anything happens, it's isolated to a metal box, NO FIRES :-) I'm just a careful/paranoid guy.

I hate shipping, I do everything online these days. Shipping these with USPS is about $5-7.

Again, I do this for fun and help people in the forum, I'll test and make sure they work and I don't send untested stuff. Please don't ask for money back or complain about the failure due to operator errors. If they work for me, they should work for you, I will help to get your LED system work just like mine (like it never exists).

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

here you go and yes it is an 06
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Those LEDS look scary... Just as I thought.

here you go and yes it is an 06
Anyhow, if they're on and work for you is fine. I'll start on it today and you may have them in a few days. I'll see if I still have some speakers wires laying around, I know I used up the last roll. Do you have speaker wires 16-18 gauge? The smaller number is "fatter" but minimum is 18.

If you have the speaker wires, I'll just make the PTC and Rload for you.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes I have some 18 wire red and black its not speaker wire though.the leds are on now and working fine just the stupid error codes do you want me to send you some cash.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes I have some 18 wire red and black its not speaker wire though.the leds are on now and working fine just the stupid error codes do you want me to send you some cash.
Paypal me as friend when it's done. So, you know how to splice and run the wires to the metal box right? Or do I need to send you the splicers too?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

probably just send me everything and I will pay you that way I know everything is correct. do you know what this will be $
Old 12-05-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't worry about the money, the work is more important!!!

probably just send me everything and I will pay you that way I know everything is correct. do you know what this will be $
I don't know if I have all 5 splicers, but you can get them <a href="http://www.harborfreight.com/50-piece-quick-splice-set-14-18-gauge-97990.html">here cheap </a>or any auto part store, even home depot or Lowes.

I got the circuits for Parking Light done. I have to get the resistors for the DRL.

Here are your parking light circuit tested.

Are you really worried about the cost or the work that needs to be done? I already listed everything out for you already. Just add them up.

Why don't we do this, I'll ship them to you for Christmas, after you install them correctly, if you like it, pay whatever you feel, FAIR?

It's my Christmas present to you.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 12-05-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

sounds good to me looking forward to getting them hooked up. if you could send some instructions on how to install everything I would really appreciate it.i will take care of you thank you very much

Quick Reply: i know another stinking led ?