A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy is it to change the headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy is it to change the headlight?

is it possible to change the light without any special equipment?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The headlight assembly as a whole or just the actual headlight bulb? I was wondering how hard it is to simply replace just the bulb as well. Although I heard it wasn't too hard at all if you just pry back the material under the wheel well.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
The headlight assembly as a whole or just the actual headlight bulb? I was wondering how hard it is to simply replace just the bulb as well. Although I heard it wasn't too hard at all if you just pry back the material under the wheel well.
I think just the bulb (unless of course I have to take the assembly apart to get to the bulb....).
Old 12-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default headlight bulb change

its really difficult to change the drivers side headlight bulb due to limited working space but it can be done just be patient and have magnetic tools or a magnetic rod to reach any dropped tools/screws. on the passanger side you will have to remove the airbox which is really easy. you will also need an alligator plier to make life much simpiler. i will repost the write up i used to complete this.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's on the passenger side. I just realized it isn't always out. Sometimes it works for a while and then it will go out. Maybe something is loose in there.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Soundchasr
It's on the passenger side. I just realized it isn't always out. Sometimes it works for a while and then it will go out. Maybe something is loose in there.
That's a tough call but if I had to put my money on a component failing, I'd put it on the ballast. Generally when we see bulbs fail we see them ignite and then immediately go out or they just don't do anything. When the light turns off after awhile that's generally a ballast issue.

I've sold probably 1000 HID kits over the past few years so I have some hands on experience with the mechanics of the system though my kits are aftermarket.

Here's another thought though... Do you have any water or condensation in that headlight? The D2S bulb has contacts on it's base that could easily corrode over time. HIDs use the most power on initial startup and then over the course of about 20 seconds, draw less and less voltage until they reach their operating temperature. This is why your lights appear to change color when starting. If there was a contact issue at the base of the bulb, the light would stay out until the headlights were cycled off and on again.

Once the bulb loses voltage it needs the higher starting voltage to re-ignite, which it won't get until the headlights are cycled so it will stay off, even if it get's it's voltage back.

I'd say pull out the light and clean it's base but a pair of D2S bulbs is $10 shipped off eBay. Save yourself the hassle and just replace the bulbs. See if that does the trick.