A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hi soon to be D3 S8 owner but need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi soon to be D3 S8 owner but need some advice

Hello guys, just joined the forum this evening. i hope everybody is well.

i have been trying to purchase a D3 S8 for this year, on two seperate occasions i've spotted the perfect car for me but sadly on both occasions missed out as they have been snapped up already. ideally i wanted a post-facelift 2008 onwards S8 in black with low milage but since i missed those two cars earlier this year no others have surfaced.

however, i have just found a particularly low milage pre-facelift S8, only 25K miles on a 2007 car in well in my price range. it has everything i wanted apart from it being the pre-facelift version.

what i'm considering is swapping the front bumper/fender and rear light clusters for post-facelift version as this seems to be the only noticeable exterior asthetic changes. but is this as simple as a straight swap or are the wiring and connections for the lights different between the two versions.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, i'm really looking forward to purchasing the car and properly joining the S8 club
Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome!

It would help if we know where are you. Models where different across the world. Next question is what facelift you are talking about? Do you have some pictures of the car you are talking about?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

A quote from ModestW12 from a previous thread:

"On the exterior, you have the facelift rectangular fogs, updated fog grills, and slightly updated main grill, revised lager mirrors with integrated blinkers, the option for lane change assist (not available prior to 08), and of course the facelift all-LED taillights.

Inside, you have updated metal accents (mirror adjustment ****, door pockets trim, updated start button, metal accents on the steering wheel), updated adjustable contour headrests (this one is weird as the W12's and 4.2's got these in 07), and AMI guaranteed vs. if 07 S8 is like 07 4.2's/W12's, you may nor may not have AMI with an 07 S8. I think AMI units still go for around $600 if you do a self install, otherwise $1100+ at the dealer.

Also, I've read that 08 4.2's got improved cabin sound insulation but don't know if this applied to the already enhanced insulation in W12's and so possibly in S8's as well .

Finally, the 07 S8's have a 50/50 default torque split center diff. The 08+ S8's have a 40/60 IIRC."

This all applies to cars in the US. YMMV
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

As I was looking earlier this year for the one I bought, I would suggest a few things first.
1) research the vehicle and options you are looking for
2) make your choices and stick with them
3) don't settle on something that isn't quite what you want
4) be patient
I know the prices on these have been dropping steadily, an 07' seems to be in a good price range. If you do want the 08'-09' options you might want to stick with an 08' or 09'. Check the prices of taillights for example, not cheap at all to upgrade to. If you can, check autotrader.com, there were still a few listed ones on there.
Good luck with your search.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Ralston
Hello guys, just joined the forum this evening. i hope everybody is well.

i have been trying to purchase a D3 S8 for this year, on two seperate occasions i've spotted the perfect car for me but sadly on both occasions missed out as they have been snapped up already. ideally i wanted a post-facelift 2008 onwards S8 in black with low milage but since i missed those two cars earlier this year no others have surfaced.

however, i have just found a particularly low milage pre-facelift S8, only 25K miles on a 2007 car in well in my price range. it has everything i wanted apart from it being the pre-facelift version.

what i'm considering is swapping the front bumper/fender and rear light clusters for post-facelift version as this seems to be the only noticeable exterior asthetic changes. but is this as simple as a straight swap or are the wiring and connections for the lights different between the two versions.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, i'm really looking forward to purchasing the car and properly joining the S8 club

Have you checked the classified listings on AudiWorld? Most are from Audi enthusiasts, looking to move on, and most have a history documented in the forums. Yes, I happen to have one listed here as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

The biggest thing of value to me on an S8 is the revised torque split in the 08- up. The rest is all kinda whatever, but the LED tails are cool
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
As I was looking earlier this year for the one I bought, I would suggest a few things first.
1) research the vehicle and options you are looking for
2) make your choices and stick with them
3) don't settle on something that isn't quite what you want
4) be patient
I know the prices on these have been dropping steadily, an 07' seems to be in a good price range. If you do want the 08'-09' options you might want to stick with an 08' or 09'. Check the prices of taillights for example, not cheap at all to upgrade to. If you can, check autotrader.com, there were still a few listed ones on there.
Good luck with your search.

I agree with these comments. I had a specific S8 I was looking for 2008 Daytona Gray black interior, interior upgrades with leather dash and roof with B&O stereo. It took me about 6-8 months till I found exactly what I wanted. I am soooo happy with this car. It also has 2 sets of wheels, MTM exhaust and lowering module.
Attached Images   
Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Ralston

If money is not an issue then I think the best for exterior is everything from here:

http://www.lltek.com/hofele_a8_d3_fa...i_body_kit.htm
Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TFT
I agree with these comments. I had a specific S8 I was looking for 2008 Daytona Gray black interior, interior upgrades with leather dash and roof with B&O stereo. It took me about 6-8 months till I found exactly what I wanted. I am soooo happy with this car. It also has 2 sets of wheels, MTM exhaust and lowering module.
Tft! Was this the one in Arizona!? I drooled over this one for a long time. Thought I would never see it again. How did you make out with it? It looked to be in fantastic shape.
Good luck with it and good choice on the color and options I have the same one now.