A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had clicking noises from front wheels parking/driving slowly? (NOT CV 's)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Also implies to me the standard install for wheel bearings maybe should be revised...

to grease or anti seize coat the same areas during any bearing replacement as a preemptive move.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I can imagine occasional click from there, but not nice rhythmical clicking. Actually, is it nice and rhythmical or I just imagined that?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Noise pattern

It is periodic and repeated, but not at exactly constant time from what I remember. But need to sort that out with varying or slowing wheel speeds too. Maybe three to six clicks in ten feet, so it's occurring multiple times in at least some wheel revolutions. It does does sound what I find metal being forced past other unlubricated metal. Somewhat like the clicking you hear with some exhaust systems as they cool after shut down, which I also figure is metal cooling at differential rates sliding past other parts at joints, clamps and such. More periodic than that though,and the clicks aren't as grouped together.

Currently listening for it more closely to see if I can find additional patterns. Will report back in coming days pr week with any focused listening or attempts to recreate on purpose. I think/recall it's coming up more after the car is driven rather than cold, and need to try to see if it varies with heavier brake use--heating up the whole hub and brake area more.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My W12 had that exact same issue. No idea what it was
Old 12-24-2014, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello MP, was curious if you ever completed this work, and thus any tips? I too am getting the same noise, which is quite annoying on a car like this.

My front brakes have around 6mm left on pads, and considering doing this job when the brakes come due, or sooner.

Is it worthwhile to just put in new bearing cartridges (SKF or OEM?) at this point (car has 43k on it)? for the effort taken here, I was thinking of that renewing them at the same time, having said that I would expect to go well past 100k on them with out problems....

Last edited by zedbyers; 12-24-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not yet.

No bearing failures or signs anywhere beyond this annoyance. My 2000 A6 4.2 eventually lost most of the different wheel position bearings with the same cartridge set up, but none with the W12. At 109K miles now.

In general, I plan to do only as/if bearings fail. I would also either replace the bearing or at least pull the shell and do the TSB tweak if I had to do a CV axle boot. But these boots so far also seem robust and long lived compared to my older Audis. I only hear it if windows are down in a place the reflects sound like a concrete garage, or if a family member drives up with my D3 and I'm outside.

I would say your miles are really low to do something preemptively with the bearings. When you do the brakes at the next cycle, you might want to renew both the stainless clips used for the pad sliding and also the rubber bushings where the calipers slide on the pins. I have other front brake ideas in mind on mine coming up (I'm also mid pad life right now in front) But if I were changing front pads or rotors, those would definitely be on my next time list. Those parts are sort of expensive from Audi, but can be found in the jobber channels from common name brand suppliers like Raybestos and others.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info. It is a minor annoyance, but on this car shouldn't be. I am not driving a 20 year old Buick!

Yes I agree, I am in planning mode for when front brakes are due. Will probably start acquiring parts soon just to have on the shelf.

Just completed rears (pads/rotors) this afternoon. Audi Fort Myers want $1100 to do it. I did with OEM parts for $300 and an hour of my time....unbelievable....

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the same type of clicking/stress noise (usually on initial acceleration) on various VW products over the years. Never figured out what it was.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
I've heard the same type of clicking/stress noise (usually on initial acceleration) on various VW products over the years. Never figured out what it was.
I can get this noise with out even moving. The best description I can give is a hot motorcycle exhaust cooling after the engine is shut down.

I had my wife move the tire for me while I listened and definitely coming from the center of the wheel.

Very repeatable and not rhythmic while in motion at all.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Reviving and old thread as I experienced this issue this weekend with the windows down while parking. It is exactly as described above. Interestingly, my car has had the bearings replaced at least once according to the service records, so this appears to be a major failure point here. My question would be do I just deal with it or get them replaced again? If it won't interfere with driving and/or safety I may deal with it for a while it's not all that annoying.

Will check my warranty paperwork as well to see if wheel bearings are covered.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had clicking noises from front wheels parking/driving slowly? (NOT CV 's)