A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Sway Bar Bushings???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Sway Bar Bushings???

I need front sway bar bushings for me 2007 Audi A8l... and I can't find them separately anywhere..the audi dealer is telling me, i have to purchase the whole sway bar for $396...they come with the bar only...does anybody know where i can just get the bushings or have any suggestions? thx
Old 05-09-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm afraid your dealer is correct.... I couldn't find just the bushings anywhere or on any website when I needed them. If you find just the bushings, let us know where you got them.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Bushings are integral part with the sway bar. They are fused on it. Once they get separated you start getting all kind of sounds from there.

You can find it here cheaper. Choose by a stiffness you like.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Bushings are integral part with the sway bar. They are fused on it. Once they get separated you start getting all kind of sounds from there.

You can find it here cheaper. Choose by a stiffness you like.

Thanks a lot Mishar..i rather pay $287 than $400
Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Bushings are integral part with the sway bar. They are fused on it. Once they get separated you start getting all kind of sounds from there....

I realize these cars are not designed with ease or cost of maintenance in mind, but could there not be a better way to integrate the bushing to the bar? A replaceable bushing would sure be nice! Especially considering how many AW members' first post is "My car has a squeaking from the front end".

As for the function, either the bar being fused to the bushing is part of its function or it's not. I suspect it has little effect on the bar's end-to-end torsion, and therefore could theoretically be made as a replacement part. On the other hand, why would VWAG go to the expense of making them attached (unless it is their intent to prevent the noise)?
One factory I used to work with made rubber and urethane specialty springs, bushings and (mostly) wheels. Cost was around $40 each for something of that size and they'd make a set of 3-4 of varying durometer so the end user could spec out future orders.
-Tom
Old 05-10-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Ease of assembly/manufacturing

The answer to your question is typically ease of manufacturing. With each generation of Audi I have owned, I have seen more parts rolled up into subassemblies and more fasteners that are quick to attach. Maintenance is usually secondary. If you see Audi's built on the line today, it is highly automated and indeed subassemblies are loaded toward the lines from all of below, the sides and above depending on what it is. They really seem to avoid trying to have much of anything that takes judgment, fitting or special hand holding at the point it bolts, scorers or clips to the body as it heads down the main line. These would be an the drivetrain part of the subassembly, which happens on another line and then meets w/ the body line (at least on their newest A3 line I saw last year). I expect the same principles apply there too.

And yes, of course someone could make these aftermarket. And being a D body, they probably never will. Pretty much like the C's for that matter--having owned four generations of those--even with a fair amount more volume there. Only the B's get much aftermarket stuff (even more so now w/ the A4 and A5 sisters and Q5 cousin), plus VW type stuff that crosses over to the A3, TT, etc. It could be an aftermarket bushing off of something like an S4 might work, but it is both bar diameter and clamping cup size dependent. You would almost need to work at a parts counter or own both to ever be able to compare.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Makes sense, MP.

Since I have derailed this thread, I started one in the suspension forum to continue (and tap other brains)..