A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake job cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake job cost?

Anyone know what i can expect to pay to machin front rotors and install EBC red stuff pads? Also my brake wear light just came on, any idea how much pad is left when this happens?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Crisis3
...my brake wear light just came on, any idea how much pad is left when this happens?
According to the official factory disc, you have 3000 miles after the warning comes on. I was surprised to see such a generous figure since they would want to err on the "worst-case" scenario; i.e., if the car was used for fully-loaded, fast stopping, "stop-and-go" city driving.

Literally (for once) YMMV.

-Tom
Old 04-26-2014, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default with warning light on-still have some meat on the pads...

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2849517">how I did mine front brakes</a>

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-27-2014, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Still looking for cost, It won't be a DIY project for me.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Still looking for cost, It won't be a DIY project for me.
Prices vary depending on where you live and who does the work. Indy shops usually are less expensive than dealers. Call around and they should be able to give you a rough estimate over the phone.

Why are you turning down the front rotors? I usually don't. If they are grooved I replace them. If they are flat and thick enough, I just replace the pads.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Rotors should be replaced not machined. Minimum thickness is 31 mm. OEM are the best choice and they are not too expensive here. For any properly equiped shop it is 1 hour job max. It can be done in 15 minutes, by the way.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

You don't machine rotors, you replace them if they are worn. This is a one hour job at any shop, so just call around.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

This will be my first brake job with the Audi. On my past cars the crack staff at that certain golden touch brake shop always told me I needed new rotors, but when I complained of the price they recommended machining as an option. Been doing that for years. I take it I've been taken?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Front brakes and rotors should be in the $450 range for parts online. That is OEM rotors and either Red Stuff or OEM pads, they are about the same price. It is really pretty easy to do your self. I measure the rotor thickness and just change the pads if the rotors are still above the minimum.

My front brakes probably had close to a third of the total thickness left when the light came on.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

This will be my first brake job with the Audi. On my past cars the crack staff at that certain golden touch brake shop always told me I needed new rotors, but when I complained of the price they recommended machining as an option. Been doing that for years. I take it I've been taken?
I wouldn't say "taken," per se, but machining is generally not considered "acceptable" within the higher echelons of the car world. It is a common practice on "normal" cars, however is not an accepted practice on any German cars.

In proper practice, rotors are either good to go another round or they're not. There is a min thickness spec of the rotor. Generally speaking, if you run your finger over the edge of the rotor and can feel a sizable "lip," it's time for new rotors. On average, on a daily driven car, you should get two sets of pads to one set of rotors.

Machining will get rid of the lip, and does have the side benefit of getting you down to virgin metal, but it does this by taking away material.

Quick Reply: Front brake job cost?