A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few small problems with my 07 A8 with 13k miles....pls help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by subit0
I believe that the spare in the trunk does not have a TPMS sensor if you have 20" wheels (the wheel well in the trunk is too small to accommodate a 20" wheel and tire, so the spare tire is on a smaller rim without a sensor since it is not intended to be put on on any of the four corners for any length of time). If your wheels are smaller than 20", you should have a TMPS sensor in the spare too. BTW, what's the backstory on your car's low mileage (only driven to the grocery store once a week by a little old lady)?
Don't mean to get off topic here..

I have an 07 with now 21,000 miles bought it with 19,900. The lady that had it was a "snow bird".. Meaning she only came to south FL during the winter months so the car sat in the garage the rest of the year. Maybe same with the OP. I saw a 2007 Acura TL-S at the same dealer with 13,000 miles, I was tempted to get it for the wife.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[
Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by subit0
I believe that the spare in the trunk does not have a TPMS sensor if you have 20" wheels (the wheel well in the trunk is too small to accommodate a 20" wheel and tire, so the spare tire is on a smaller rim without a sensor since it is not intended to be put on any of the four corners for any length of time).
It is still good to have the fifth sensor for two reasons: peace of mind that your spare is ready to use and to fill dashes on the MMI screen.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been able to confirm, but the seats may require the weight of a passenger to stay on.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Crisis3
I haven't been able to confirm, but the seats may require the weight of a passenger to stay on.
That makes sense. Heating and airbag are off when nobody is there. So jump to the passenger seat and confirm.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
That makes sense. Heating and airbag are off when nobody is there. So jump to the passenger seat and confirm.

well, it doesn't work either when I am sitting in the passenger seat...but the heated seats work fine....
Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Not true...

TPMS on all five wheels in all configurations. For factory 20's, you get a baseline 18" five spoke 8 ½" wheel with a 255/45-18 tire, painted black instead of sliver like the basic 4.2 ones are plus a bunch of nanny stickers on it.

One guy I recall assembled a set of them to have for factory paint black wheels.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default My vented seats stay on regardless of empty or occupied...

Again here, you probably need to buy VAG-COM (VCDS), the standard diagnostic tool for modern Audi's and VW's. I think to get this one deciphered, you should read any codes the system has stored. I do have the vented seats, and can confirm they stay on with or without someone in them, so that's not it. I have never seen the behavior of the seat just resetting back to no fan by itself.

To your question about VAG-COM, it is sold as a cable, which is also effectively a dongle with a hardware interlock. Then you use it with their downloaded software to read most anything electronic on the car. And BTW, though the sensors do have the limited life and batteries tend to fade about the same time, you could actually isolate which specific one it is, and then for example rotate the spare in instead as an interim.

You want the HEX-CAN one: http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html One time outlay, and you can always re sell if you exit Audis. I never do, since I keep owning them and they do constant development/releases on new stuff. Unlike many other tools, one price and cable gets you access/use for any modern Audi or VW, and as many as you want.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

For the ventilated seat dial, If you use vcds, you may see the temperature sensor on passenger side is faulty or the fan has open or short to ground. I would check all the connector under the seat.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies...I guess i'll need to buy a VCDS for anything on this car haha

Anway, new small issue....really confuses me...the "current MPH" mode on the dash isn't available to be selected anymore...one day I just went to the car and hit "mode' on the steering wheel and all that was available were "Radio", "Trip Computer 1", "Trip Computer 2", Telephone.....no more of the screen that shows the current MPH!! What in the world could that be??!! I checked the settings in the MMI--There doesn't seem to be any settings that control that!

Thanks fellas!

Quick Reply: Few small problems with my 07 A8 with 13k miles....pls help