A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel guilt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Feel guilt?

A month ago, I sold my 2006 A9L with 195,000 miles. It looked decent, everything worked except stupid soft close and driver door lock flaky button. I gave buyer maintenance invoices since 2017 when I bought it with 135,000 miles. This also included full (including water pump) T-belt service the PO did a month before I bought it. I'm too old to do this crap so everything was done by a good independent shop that does Audis. (Shop owner drives an S8). Among a bunch of regular stuff, things done/replaced in the years I owned it included:
Air ride compressor, Oil cooler reseal, and Cam chain adjuster, O2 sensors, Parktronic sensors, and New gears in MMI. In last 6 months, new AC compressor, PS flush, brake flush, left lower control arm and valve cover gaskets.

3 moths ago, the left front strut died, Shop had a strut removed from another car. It was new replacement but had a clunk due to the upper bushing movement. Shop said if I could live with clunk, he'd put it on my car for only labor cost. Since I'd planned on upgrading this spring, it was OK with me. It rode fine, air ride worked (up/down) and unless I went over a big bump, it wasn't noticeable. However, I decided to test the waters and list it for sale. I was surprised there was so much interest.

The buyer was informed of everything. I made sure he drove it on a bumpy road to feel the clunk. My asking price was $5,000. He negotiated me down a bit..There was a crack in left outer brake lens that I had "gooked" but I gave buyer a light assembly I bought that I hadn't gotten around to installing.

After driving 3 hrs home, he called to say how much he loved the car. the next day, he drove 500 miles with no problem. A day later, it got really cold and there was no heat. Apparently, one of the heat zone solenoids was stuck. Doing research, he learned if both sides were set at same temp, it blended and was unnoticeable. (It may have been that way for me previously, but I never was aware). Next, after a hard stop, he felt the rotors pulsing. They were Zimmerman with Akenbono pads, installed 25,000 miles ago. A recent check by my shop noted pads at 70%. Next the air ride compressor died (it was new about 40,00 miles ago), Next, the driveshaft center bearing carrier started clunking. Latest, the water pump started leaking. Given the T-belt, was done at 135K, this was discussed when he bought it and that it would be due in 10K-15K miles.

Obviously, I'm not a dealer and the bill of sale was "AS IS, no warranty expressed on implies"

With two cars in garage (wife and mine), we have owned and sold a lot of cars (many of them Audi's) in 55 yrs. Way back 30 yrs, many I owned were "winter" cars when GTO I did frame up restore was in storage, Many were just time for upgrade or need bigger. For many of those years, I did my own maintenance, including a few timing belts on Audi's). I took pride in seeing a car I sold still driven around town years after.

I won't see the buyer of my Audi cause he's 200 miles away, but I feel guilty. We've talked at length and he isn't upset, doesn't blame me because I was 100% truthful but he understands that '**** happens.

Would you feel guilty?

Old 03-19-2023, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

It's a used car and you clearly stated no warranty. I don't think you need to do anything. If you wanted to help out the person by sending them a goodwill check for $500, that's up to you.

We had a similar situation when a family member sold an old, tired Mazda (rotary) wagon to a woman who should not have bought it. She only purchased it because it appeared to be cheap. That was a mistake on both the part of the seller and buyer. My brother did feel much guilt and ended up refunding her half the purchase price to implement a few repairs on that heap. Every situation is different...
Old 03-19-2023, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 181 Likes on 140 Posts

Sounds like you disclosed everything you knew about the car. It would be different if you failed to mention something and the buyer learned about it. I personally wouldn’t feel guilty if everything was disclosed and a new problem came up after the sale. The car has almost 200k miles and sold for under 5k so I don’t see anything to be guilty about. As-is means just that, as-is.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

I wouldn’t feel guilty. You disclosed what you knew, plus the car had nearly 200k miles on the clock.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 141 Posts

Not sure if these issues would show up but did the buyer consider getting an inspection prior to sale?
Old 03-19-2023, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He brought a mechanic friend along who looked it over, got down underneath but didn't have it up on a list. He had a VAGCOM and checked. Except for a couple battery regulator level 1 or 2 from parisitc draw of door lock buttons, common motor mount error, NAV DVD read error, it was clean. The trunk lid motor was slow.

Forunately, he has this mechanic friend to do the stuff on the car and not have to pay a shop.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Nope.

Its an honestly described and sold sub $5k 17-year old luxury German car with 200k on it that he’s now driving the **** out of, exposing a bunch of items that were probably already marginal, but not apparent under your usage profile.

Caveat Emptor, and you should refrain from further contact as it’ll serve no purpose other than to amplify the unwarranted feelings you’ve already got.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

First of all, what kind of a moron buys a 200k miles 17 years old luxury sedan? Thats gonna be a good life lesson for him. I would possibly refund $500 for a piece of mind and forget about it