A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebrake, ESP, and Parking Brake issues!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebrake, ESP, and Parking Brake issues!?!?!

Hello all,

After I just changed the rear bearings on my 2006 Audi A8 L 4.2Q, the ESP, ABS and E Brake went off immediately after I drove off the mechanics shop The car acted as if it had no traction such as in snow and the ESP light was blinking, and it wouldn't take the gas. By the time I turned around to the shop, it was closed. I now have christmas lights in my dash and the Ebake won't work at all now. I called the mechanic and he said that unless the bearings should've had some kind of sensors it shouldn't do that.

Please help
Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diaudi13
Hello all,

After I just changed the rear bearings on my 2006 Audi A8 L 4.2Q, the ESP, ABS and E Brake went off immediately after I drove off the mechanics shop The car acted as if it had no traction such as in snow and the ESP light was blinking, and it wouldn't take the gas. By the time I turned around to the shop, it was closed. I now have christmas lights in my dash and the Ebake won't work at all now. I called the mechanic and he said that unless the bearings should've had some kind of sensors it shouldn't do that.

Please help
Well of course it shouldn't do that... Bearings don't have sensors LOL. Its very possible that the mechanic damaged the ABS sensor, or forgot to hook it up. Or forgot to hook up the connections on the e brake.

Take the car back and have them fix it. If they can't, then they should pay to get it fixed elsewhere. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

They probably unplugged parking brake. Now they need VCDS or VAS to recalibrate it.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MN-A8
Well of course it shouldn't do that... Bearings don't have sensors LOL. Its very possible that the mechanic damaged the ABS sensor, or forgot to hook it up. Or forgot to hook up the connections on the e brake.

Take the car back and have them fix it. If they can't, then they should pay to get it fixed elsewhere. Good luck.
I took it back and he checked everything and found nothing. He says that it could be due to bearings are not oem and thus the abs sensors don't read the same and cause them to read different wheel spin and cause the ESP and Abs to counter act as if there is traction issue on the road. Could this be an issue or he's just bsng me? I bought the bearings myself!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
They probably unplugged parking brake. Now they need VCDS or VAS to recalibrate it.

Ill double check on this. If this is an issue can it be te calibrated with obd or only with vcds?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It hes to be VCDS and yes, he is bsng you.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default abs/epc/gas

are the brake lights working?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

yea they are working normal.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
It hes to be VCDS and yes, he is bsng you.
Can you tell me the procedures so I can tell him how to do it?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diaudi13
I took it back and he checked everything and found nothing. He says that it could be due to bearings are not oem and thus the abs sensors don't read the same and cause them to read different wheel spin and cause the ESP and Abs to counter act as if there is traction issue on the road. Could this be an issue or he's just bsng me? I bought the bearings myself!
Sorry to say but he is BSing you, or he doesn't know enough to be a mechanic. There is a ring on the wheel hub that the ABS sensor reads for wheel speed. This ring has grooves in it that the ABS sensor pics up. As long as that ring is moving with the tire then it should read the correct speed. If your wheels are moving at different speeds you would have some serious driveability problems like tire wear and it would put too much strain on the quattro system.

Quick Reply: Ebrake, ESP, and Parking Brake issues!?!?!