A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBC Redstuff DP31535C - Wear sensor, yes or no??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Redstuff DP31535C - Wear sensor, yes or no??

I am looking at buying the EBC Redstuff pads for my car and need them by the weekend. ECS says they won't ship for 9 days so they are out of the question. I have found a couple other suppliers by searching the product number however they say that it doesn't come with the wired sensor. The ECS description says that they do. They are both the same manufactueres number. Which one is right? My second question is, if the pads do not have the sensor will I get any error messages or will I just not get notice of when my pads are worn?

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES520374/

http://autoplicity.com/products/3921...FeZAMgodTDwAJw
Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would be open to other sources for these pads. I just want to get the right ones and have them by Friday.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Here's your answer; some observations too

See the picture. I have a set on hand for the next brake job and rotor replace.

Now for several observations without pulling punches:

I'm a fan of EBC pads, but not particularly the way they are sold anymore. EBC pads these days are generally sold at the same price, or close to it. And they are getting pricy enough to where dealer OE is as cheap or cheaper. They need to be more sober about that, instead of pricing the opposite direction. And while nominally anybody can sell at any price, it doesn't happen much w/ EBC's, a sign there are probably things like advertising dollars to keep sellers towing the price line.

If you have shopped EBC, given the pricing is usually within a few dollars, shipping charges are usually where the action is. ECS is rarely the low cost player there and typically charges for it. The pads in the picture may actually have come from ECS, but back on a free shipping promotion a while ago. On parts like these, often others don't charge for shipping as an everyday matter--especially if they get boxed in on "recommended" pricing structure. Thus maybe an Auto Parts Warehouse or Summit Racing; sometimes Amazon if Prime and if sales tax doesn't come into play in your state w/ Amazon (I don't think Amazon has these part number pads via Prime though).

I wouldn't normally do business with folks who don't know their product. If they don't know they are sensored, normally move to the next commodity seller. And honestly, EBC's virtually always are for relevant Audis, certainly in the Reds but I think in the Yellows too. And they always have been in the D3 A8/S8 fitment used here. A decent retailer and representative of their product should know this, both at the specific item number, but also as a characteristic of the brand. If they don't, they're just commodity order takers and I would guess not good product support. Here though, I'll admit w/ Autoplicity--which is the back door (non-Prime) Amazon lister/merchant in this case I guess--is well below the "normal" EBC price (which I bet won't last...).
Attached Images  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-11-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, even though Autoplicity lists the pads as non-sensored, the thinking is that they don't know that they're sensored? I am also looking for the best front pad/rotor option. thanks.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Again, for yet another flog of the horse,

they are sensored. Every box I have bought and personally installed. Period. Find a vendor who actually knows the product instead of just pushing bad web art.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-09-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
they are sensored. Every box I have bought and personally installed. Period. Find a vendor who actually knows the product instead of just pushing bad web art.
Who do you recommend?

Scott
L.I., NY
Old 07-28-2014, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

See my write up on my install. I used Amazon as they had the cheapest price, fastest and cheapest (free) shipping. https://forums.audiworld.com/a8-s8-d...stall-2843662/

As you can see in the pictures they are the exact same ones purchased anywhere else, and include the integrated pad sensor wires

Below are links to the exact pads you would buy for your 04 A8.

Front Pads: $104 ($11.24 shipping)
Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP31535C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP31535C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pad: Automotive

Rear Pads: $80 (Free Shipping)
Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP31470C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP31470C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pad: Automotive

Or go with Hawk HPS pads. A direct competitor and strong favorite among other Audi owners (S4's, S5's, etc.)

Front: $101 (Free Shipping)
Robot Check Robot Check

Rear: $65 (Free Shipping)
Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB553F.652 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB553F.652 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive

Not much difference between Hawk and EBC. Kind of like Coke vs. Pepsi, some people like EBC some like Hawk but I don't think you'd recognize a performance difference. I believe that Hawk HPS is more commonly used, especially in the world outside of Audi.

Last edited by Brozee; 07-28-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
See my write up on my install. I used Amazon as they had the cheapest price, fastest and cheapest (free) shipping. https://forums.audiworld.com/a8-s8-d...stall-2843662/

As you can see in the pictures they are the exact same ones purchased anywhere else, and include the integrated pad sensor wires
Thanks

Scott
L.I., NY
Old 07-28-2014, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Updated my post. Please see.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Redstuff users:
How much of a reduction in brake dust have you seen with these pads?
Considering for my next purchase when brakes are due.

Quick Reply: EBC Redstuff DP31535C - Wear sensor, yes or no??