A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY fix : water logged tail lights

Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default If it gets old enough!

First Audi tail light mods I did were my 73 100LS (C1) circa 1980 after it got rear ended and I refit it w/ junk yard parts on the cheap. Like older VW stuff, some gremlins in the fusing and in the tail light bulb holder. Modded the C3 for the turbo center piece to match the tails, modded the C4 for dual rear fog bulbs, and the C5 for variously lens and bulb appearance tweaks.

Not soon, but w/ time everything gets old I guess.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by transporter2004
I currently have water in both taillights located on the deck lid.
I am very hesitant to take them off the car an try to epoxy them or seal them with silicon. I don't want to booger it all up. I just try to not open the trunk, but I know that the water is reeking havoc on the boards.

Has anyone ever taken the light off the car, popped off the lenses and "glued" it back on with any success?

Has anyone just bit the bullet and bought the 05 or 06 aftermarket lights for sale on the internet for about $1700? were they plug and play?

thank you
Problem is (obviously not to everybody) that tail lights are double glazed. Red plastic on the outside and transparent inside, and water in between. No hear drier can dry it. In that case it want hurt boards or bulbs.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Problem is (obviously not to everybody) that tail lights are double glazed. Red plastic on the outside and transparent inside, and water in between. No hear drier can dry it. In that case it want hurt boards or bulbs.
Rice and or packs of dessicant, if there's room for moisture to get in between those cracks, there's a good chance for it to get absorbed.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think that will work. It took long time for moisture to get in. It may take just as long to absorb it.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s3trios
Well if the lights are still working meaning your reverse, rear fog, and LED brake lights.

You can still save the trunk lights by fixing them yourself and not have to go thru what I did and by fixing meaning removing the lights and using a hair dryer to air them out and resealing them.

Go buy yourself 2 fresh rubber gaskets for the lights and a tube of silicone sealent. Once you get all the water out and cleaned up any other rust stain or whatever, install the new gasket and seal the enclosure up with silicone sealant. Do not use epoxy.

Also, the trunk liner comes off easy. 1 screw under the emergency trunk handle, 2 screws in the black plastic cup next to it. Remove your emergency tool kit and pop the liner off. It's all held together with metal tabs. 3 8mm nuts on each light, unplug the connector and slide out. Use windex to get the rubber grommet back when re-installing.

I rather burn 1700 dollars on something else
Thank you very much for the information. Looks like we know what I am doing Sunday.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 09 has substantial condensation, only in the trunk mounted segments.
They are replacing under warranty with "fog resistant" units?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bigbottlebob
My 09 has substantial condensation, only in the trunk mounted segments.
They are replacing under warranty with "fog resistant" units?
Hehehehehehe!

Fog Resistant lamps for the rear fog lamps!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
Hehehehehehe!

Fog Resistant lamps for the rear fog lamps!
WARNING: Do not use these lamps in foggy conditions ;o)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cant follow you. It's all foggy.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i have the same problem, my tail light failed last night and now its working again i dont know what to do. i was thinking of fixing it myself. Is the rubber gasket the rubber that is on the side of the inner tail lights. Looks like its glued to the taillight i m scared of taking it off, but now i think i have no choice. Do u guys know where i can get the rubber gasket from?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY fix : water logged tail lights