A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deflector scheduling for the sunroof

Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deflector scheduling for the sunroof

Is there a way within VCDS to change the deflector scheduling for the sunroof? It's not a problem at highway speeds. but becomes very obnoxious at low speed. We are often in traffic that hovers just about at the change points and the often changing deflector is bothersome. I know that the motor probably needs to be serviced or replaced because of the level of noise during it's operation. I'd like to try and set the Audi up like the one on my bug....the deflector is either up or down.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

if you replace the electrical motor - the deflector will work properly.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Small world, just now replacing mine...

when it gets here in a few days. Just did a thorough interior clean plus replaced some worn switch type items. Found the motor making a bunch of noise when I opened and closed roof to get all the rail and other areas up there. Since one of the things I replaced was the roof switch trim area (which is a distinct part from the switches underneath the trim in this one case, I already saw where the motor is--right above the center of that panel just in front of the sunroof itself.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

The wind deflector is motorized? Mine is either up or down and appears to be operated only by the motion of the roof panel in a conventional manner. What does the motor do? Is it an option or something.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, motorized

Basically moves it up and down more or less aggressively based on speed. Don't know about other markets, but standard on US ones AFAIK. If you put your hand on it while driving (w/ the other hand), or as a passenger and vary your speed some around town you sometimes feel it doing its thing movement wise. Not very apparent visually when sitting there driving, especially w/ it up above you.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
The wind deflector is motorized? Mine is either up or down and appears to be operated only by the motion of the roof panel in a conventional manner. What does the motor do? Is it an option or something.
While driving lightly hold your hand over it, as you slow down to a stop it should raise. As you speed up it should lower. It's a nice feature, unfortunately if you have the radio off or if it is quiet, the system get's quite annoying by the noise of it going up and down. I used to hate it when I lived in an apartment complex which had speed bumps; the thing would adjust about every 10 seconds. There has been threads on this actually making grinding noises if the motor goes.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine just started to making noises. I rarely open my sunroof so maybe I didn't realize but it was making that creaky noise. Is it easy to replace the motor? Can I lubricate somewhere instead of replacing the motor?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Vicl: The deflector goes up and down fine, it just that it's noisy while in motion and the speed set points that Audi has programmed in, are centered right at the traffic speeds that we run into. The other morning, we were in traffic with speeds moving a few mph either side of 40, which is the set point for the deflector to move from the intermediate position to the full up position. We probably crossed the set point at least 30 times in 10 minutes. After a number of cycles, I got frustrated and closed the sun roof. I simply want to change it so that when the sun roof opens, the deflector opens fully. If I can't find a way to reprogram it, then I'll have to settle for disconnecting the deflector motor. I want the sun roof without the noise.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Same here

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
After reading this post, I went out and open the roof while driving - It just popped up as spring loaded. Haven't noticed the motor running or noise even on freeway. At what speed does it start to operate?

Louis
Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not that I can tell

Before I realized it was the deflector motor, I thought the noise was actually the main roof motor. By coincidence I pulled off the front roof panel trim--where lighting, sunroof switch, etc. are. Audi sunroof motors (when they were less reliable in the 80's) used to be up there. Instead, that's where the deflector motor is--just in front of the roof opening and basically right above where the two rectangular front seat illumination lights are. After I heard the noise, I looked for anything obvious to lubricate or that was dirty, and nothing apparent. With that trim out and operating the sunroof, it became obvious the noise was right from the motor itself and I could feel the vibration on the motor case as it happened. Without it apart and especially from outside the car, I would have guessed the noise was coming from the two side rails of the sunroof and that it was some kind of friction/track noise.

I have yet to take the motor out, but the illustrations suggest it's a couple of screws and the wire connector. The overhead trim to get at it takes a few steps of carefully prying things out, which has to be done from the right places to avoid forcing/breaking something. Bentley shows it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-27-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deflector scheduling for the sunroof