A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 Roll Call: Year / Current Mileage / Any major repairs needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 A8L / 57K / None
Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

06 A8L / 18K / None
Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default '06, 23K, you probably weren't thinking 6.0, but w/ W12's rare, here are details...mostly minor

Covert 4.2 and I are holding down the fort here as current owners, so here is a W12 data dump.

2006; built in 5/05 as a custom GmbH order; first driven August 2005; due to a weird fluke with in-service rules with house cars owned by dealers, my in service date for warranty and CPO is April 2006. currently at 23,000.

Bought car certified at 16K from original selling dealer. Got the full service history.

o Prior history basically showed service campaigns and recalls were done and they accidentally did the 15K service twice . Says brake light switch was replaced at 13,000 miles relating to a shift delay from second to third gear. Seems like at this check the owner brought in his laundry list. Also replaced the right rear sunshade due to failure to retract right; found to be warped (remember W12's are motorized). Some cooling and battery questions in the service checks, but two of the service campaigns read on that for many D3's of this vintage. On CPO'ing, service history says a front axle flange seal and cover o ring were replaced to fix a tranny area drip, and that at the 5K service they found a right rear axle flange seal leak and replaced that. Service history also says drivers armrest was replaced due to loose lift lever; it was still a dealer "house" car at this time.

Since then:

o right after delivery I found driver's door keyless entry touch button didn't function. They confirmed and replaced whole handle assembly, which also means painting the grab handle.

o failed steering sensor which set off the anti skid warning light repeatedly and also meant the adaptive headlights didn't move any time the warning light went off. Replaced and cured.

o either steering sensor work or some of the prior airbag recalls resulted in loose brushed trim in the center dash--where the ESP button, card holder, etc. are. They are replacing that, and also replaced trim to the left of the inst. panel.

o had issues with weak XM reception, though it was the same weekend XM reported a network failure too. They replaced the XM unit.

o tiny signs of a water leak (a bit of fluid residue) at a clamp I found in a secondary check valve under the cowl cover--an anti backflow valve that reduces windshield fog up on restart on warm days with A/C. May be a unique W12 design having to do with secondary electric water pump the motor uses. No water issues; unclear until hot weather about windshield fogging (I had a bit last summer).

o nav upgraded to current rev after I noted "the surround sound loses its settings overnight" about 48 hours after I saw the TSB.

o slightly creaky driver's door when opening--very subtle and need a quiet garage to hear it. Had this on my C5 too. A TSB says it is the door beam metal rubbing on the sheetmetal inside. They did the fix, which is basically waxing the door beam. Seemed to improve it.

o rear shade hangs up a bit. They lubed it at last service.

All these are in the "minor" group except the steering sensor and maybe the AWD seals before my time, which both read like minor drip type stuff. I either got my issues cleaned up on delivery or with routine service appointments; car has never been down. They comp'ed me a A4 rental while they did the post-purchase punch list--door handle, etc.

With careful TSB reading, good understanding of Audi's and a very friendly top notch service advisor, I basically got a pretty much new W12 for a whole lot less. I am meticulous with a newer car, and want everything 100.0%. They had also replaced all tires with brand new Dunlops prior to selling it.

Great ride, and a head turner too--rare in a 4 door sedan.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D3 Roll Call: Year / Current Mileage / Any major repairs needed?

07/ A8 21K Front brakes and rotors. Was not happy about replacing rotors at 20K After talking to Audi Rep the dealer worked with me on the price.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2004 / 58,000 / MMI update, screen motor & frnt bushings replaced

has been a very reliable car.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 PM

2004 / 33000 / No major repairs
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2004 / A8L / 48K / Repairs: wish I could say none...

This post comes with a disclaimer... in the event that I decide to sell my car in the near future... this post will self-destruct =)

I've had all the usual TSB repairs & updates.
The biggest repairs were unfortunately self-inflicted. Had to replace the front clip after getting hung-up on a concrete parking strip. (Be very careful parking where & how you park - this is not a cheap repair!!)

My largest PITA was a foul, stale odor (think gym locker) that would come from my A/C system on a regular basis. One dealer spent two years trying to figure out what the source of the problem was. I finally took it to a different dealer and they listened to everything I described, and actually got it fixed on the first try!

Other most annoying issue was my windshield wipers had a mind of their own and my dealer was slow to take the issue seriously. After a year and a half of bitching and complaining I finally convinced them to replace the motor and voila! I haven't had any problems since =)

All-in-all I'd have to say that I still love my A8L, even after 4 years I can't see myself driving any other car.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You're back! How are you doing?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Re: D3 Roll Call: Year / Current Mileage / Any major repairs needed?

07 A8/ 16k/ none
Old 02-21-2008, 07:34 AM

Default 2005/36000/Several recent repairs

I recently had the MMI control module replaced because it died after occasional erratic behavior over the last year(no console spills). Thermostat replacement along w/broken bolt on rear air suspension sensor that caused car to have that slammed look - but only in the rear. No other items but I'm wondering because problems seem to have started after 30K miles.

Quick Reply: D3 Roll Call: Year / Current Mileage / Any major repairs needed?