A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 A8/ S8 Bang & Olufsen Door Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default D3 A8/ S8 Bang & Olufsen Door Speaker Replacement

Hey all. I’ve got two S8’s, both with the Bang and Olufsen system and both with bad door speakers/ woofers. I shopped around but found that these basically aren’t available used, presumably because they all have damaged surrounds. If you behave rattling coming from your front doors when there is bass, your speaker surrounds are likely trash. These speakers are not a common size. What to do?

Well, today I’m going to tell you exactly what to do. It’s going to take about an hour of your time and will cost you about $100.

Parts:
  • Peerless SLS-P830945 50w nominal, 4 ohm 5.25” speakers (one per front door)
  • 12 8-18x1 self tapping screws

The Process
  1. Remove the stock woofer. This is held in with 6 Philips screws.
  2. From the stock woofer we are going to remove the top plastic surround. This plastic surround is held on to the metal frame of the speaker with adhesive. If you slide a flat head screwdriver under it and slower pry up, you will hear the adhesive start to give way. As it gives, the surround will be easier to remove fully.
  3. Place the surround back into the stock speaker box and screw it back in as if you were reinstalling the speaker. This is going to give us a flat base to place the new speaker over. When you’re done it should look like this:

4. At this point you can decide if you want to seal the front speaker against this bracket with an adhesive or foam strips to ensure an acoustic seal. I found that there was no difference between the speaker I had that was sealed and the one I had that I did not seal. I wouldn’t bother but if you want to be certain, throw down a few foam strips.
  5. Connect the original wires to the new speaker. The wires go narrow to narrow and wide to wide. It will be obvious. They will be a bit loose. So take needle nose pliers and squeeze them onto the terminals to ensure a snug fit.
  6. Set the speaker into the original speaker location, rotating it in a way that places the mounting holes between the stock mounting holes.
  7. Using the self tapping screws, we’re simply going to use either a drill on a lower torque setting or preferably a ratchet to start turning the screws in. The screws will go in with minimal fuss and tighten snuggly. When you’re done you’re going to end up with this:

8. Reinstall this housing into the car and enjoy your rattle-free bass!
How does it sound?

I don’t know what the specs are for the stock speakers but 4 ohms is a pretty safe guess and 50w nominal/ 150w peak appears to be in the ballpark as well.

That said, the final judge is sound and they sound, well… stock. And that’s the best compliment you can give them. My other S8 had a set of these in them from the previous owner. So I’ve got about 8 months of seat time with them which is why I decided to use the same solution for my new S8 and share the info here since it appears that even after all these years, the general consensus is that you just need to buy a new speaker from Audi.

More pictures of the setup below. I hope this saves you guys some money. I’m an audio snob and I have to reiterate that these sound great with no discernible distortion. It’s a great solution that works well.

​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike_k:
JBowers (09-21-2022), rs6guy (10-03-2023)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice write up, will have to look into this 👍. Is your B&O lacking any semblance of bass, or is just mine?
Old 05-10-2022, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by the green amigo
Nice write up, will have to look into this 👍. Is your B&O lacking any semblance of bass, or is just mine?
It's for all B&O. I added a sub and amp and really like the sound now.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Blown Rear Speaker Replacement B and O

Originally Posted by Mike_k
Hey all. I’ve got two S8’s, both with the Bang and Olufsen system and both with bad door speakers/ woofers. I shopped around but found that these basically aren’t available used, presumably because they all have damaged surrounds. If you behave rattling coming from your front doors when there is bass, your speaker surrounds are likely trash. These speakers are not a common size. What to do?

Well, today I’m going to tell you exactly what to do. It’s going to take about an hour of your time and will cost you about $100.

Parts:
  • Peerless SLS-P830945 50w nominal, 4 ohm 5.25” speakers (one per front door)
  • 12 8-18x1 self tapping screws

The Process
  1. Remove the stock woofer. This is held in with 6 Philips screws.
  2. From the stock woofer we are going to remove the top plastic surround. This plastic surround is held on to the metal frame of the speaker with adhesive. If you slide a flat head screwdriver under it and slower pry up, you will hear the adhesive start to give way. As it gives, the surround will be easier to remove fully.
  3. Place the surround back into the stock speaker box and screw it back in as if you were reinstalling the speaker. This is going to give us a flat base to place the new speaker over. When you’re done it should look like this:

4. At this point you can decide if you want to seal the front speaker against this bracket with an adhesive or foam strips to ensure an acoustic seal. I found that there was no difference between the speaker I had that was sealed and the one I had that I did not seal. I wouldn’t bother but if you want to be certain, throw down a few foam strips.
  5. Connect the original wires to the new speaker. The wires go narrow to narrow and wide to wide. It will be obvious. They will be a bit loose. So take needle nose pliers and squeeze them onto the terminals to ensure a snug fit.
  6. Set the speaker into the original speaker location, rotating it in a way that places the mounting holes between the stock mounting holes.
  7. Using the self tapping screws, we’re simply going to use either a drill on a lower torque setting or preferably a ratchet to start turning the screws in. The screws will go in with minimal fuss and tighten snuggly. When you’re done you’re going to end up with this:

8. Reinstall this housing into the car and enjoy your rattle-free bass!
How does it sound?

I don’t know what the specs are for the stock speakers but 4 ohms is a pretty safe guess and 50w nominal/ 150w peak appears to be in the ballpark as well.

That said, the final judge is sound and they sound, well… stock. And that’s the best compliment you can give them. My other S8 had a set of these in them from the previous owner. So I’ve got about 8 months of seat time with them which is why I decided to use the same solution for my new S8 and share the info here since it appears that even after all these years, the general consensus is that you just need to buy a new speaker from Audi.

More pictures of the setup below. I hope this saves you guys some money. I’m an audio snob and I have to reiterate that these sound great with no discernible distortion. It’s a great solution that works well.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-22-2024, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is brilliant thank you I can’t seem to find any original replacement. I came across your post and I went looking for that specific speaker. I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Would you happen to have a link to where I can order a set?
Old 03-10-2024, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ahmed Alturky
That is brilliant thank you I can’t seem to find any original replacement. I came across your post and I went looking for that specific speaker. I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Would you happen to have a link to where I can order a set?
I also did a speaker replacement. I used these speakers. I did have to trim the mounting holes on the speaker a bit but they work and sound pretty good.