A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Crunch" or squeak from front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Crunch" or squeak from front suspension

Recently, my A8 has started to make a crunching/ squeaking sound. It is only pronounced under low speed compression, and only does it from a "cold" start (it's worst if the car sits at the airport for a day or two or three, but once I drive a few miles it pretty much completely goes away). It makes noise over a low speed speed bump, or dip (thus low speed compression), but I can't make it make noise by making hard S-turns at 30MPH, loading up each side, and it doesn't make any noise when hitting manholes.

Given that it goes away with a little bit of "use," I'm thinking a bushing somewhere, but I haven't had a chance to go dig around yet.

There doesn't seem to be any noticeable play in anything from a driver perspective, but obviously, something is worn.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Try the usual:

in this order:

1. Front upper control arm inner bushings-- look for distortion, cracking and ultimately tear out. This is basically a when, not if, on any of the heavier Audi's w/ this general design. if you are at 60-75K miles, likely visibly worn by then.

2. Lower links that tie front roll bar to lower suspension -- look for distortion and elongation in bushing area. Will wear some w/ miles.

3. Rubber bushings on roll bar where it bolts up to body; can last a long time, but if it gets oil/grease soaked or some other fluke, could explain your noise.

4. Most anything left in suspension; can spray any selective suspect areas w/ silicone and see if creaking subsides; if so, you have your suspect part.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1

But I would almost bet that #1 is the culprit.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the hood seal in cold weather, pop your hood one stage and drive and listen. lube it.
it's the body flex
Old 01-06-2013, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For me it is #3. I just douse it in silicone spray every 6 months and it stops. You have to buy a whole new ARB to cure it as the bushes are bonded on.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by snapdragon
For me it is #3. I just douse it in silicone spray every 6 months and it stops. You have to buy a whole new ARB to cure it as the bushes are bonded on.
I have this on both my A8's. Mind going into more detail exactly where it is/ where to spray. Possibly a picture if possible?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue (winter only) when passing over a depression a few blocks from my home on cold mornings. Kind of a "scrunching" sound that happened every day but only when the car was cold. The dealer would lubricate the upper control arm bushings when I would complain and that seemed to diminish the problem. A deeper fix would be expensive I'm sure. It was (no longer have the S 8) frustrating when that was the only car I owned that would "scrunch" when going over that same depression. McBucky
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
I have this on both my A8's. Mind going into more detail exactly where it is/ where to spray. Possibly a picture if possible?
Sadly, you have to remove the plastic undertray, then find the roll bar, a shiny black ~30mm thick bar across the width of the car behind the front wheels. There are bushes as in the photo below. I use silicone spray in an aerosol with a straw and try and get it between the rubber and metal in the join.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D3...-/130592433684
Old 01-06-2013, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by McBucky
I had the same issue (winter only) when passing over a depression a few blocks from my home on cold mornings. Kind of a "scrunching" sound that happened every day but only when the car was cold. The dealer would lubricate the upper control arm bushings when I would complain and that seemed to diminish the problem. A deeper fix would be expensive I'm sure. It was (no longer have the S 8) frustrating when that was the only car I owned that would "scrunch" when going over that same depression. McBucky
That dealer is crook. Lubricating busted bushings takes care of a sound for some time but doesn't repair anything.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

My guess was the upper control arm bushings, but I had thought about sway bar bushings being a possible idea. I had not thought of the hood, however....

I'm off for a few days after this week, so I guess it'll be time to go look and play....

Quick Reply: "Crunch" or squeak from front suspension