A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed my baby tonite.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Years ago my V8 Quattro was hit in the left rear wheel and declared a total. The car was immaculate. I bought it back for less than what I had paid for the wheels and tires on it. I worked a deal with a body shop (I knew the owner) for him to repair as fill in work and I was given a great deal on the repair. Between what the insurance company paid me and what i paid to buy it back and have it repaired I came out ahead by over $1,000 and I had my car back. I was fortunate to have a second car so not having the car for just over two months didn't cause any problems.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll say it again, I expect it could be repaired reasonably, if you can spare the time. I probably would try to fix it, if it were mine. Cheaper than the replacements you are looking at, that's for sure.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Contact Shokan Audi Coachworks in West Shokan, NY and see if they are interested in the car. Or, let your insurance COmpaNy do it. Me, I have no collision insurance on any of my vehicles; I'd be calling Shokan.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Having gone through a front crash similar but not as extensive as yours, and they totaled my 05 W12. I guarantee the sub frame mount up front, can't remember the french word its called is bent, so it would have to go on the frame machine. Only if you could find a front clip and have a friend in the collision business who would do it on the side, could you fix that car for a decent price.

My estimate with new parts came close to 30K, and again it was not as extensive. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're ok man, I went through something similar earlier in the year...and slowly you'll get over the hurt. Walking away from ANY accident is a great thing, which means the car did what it was designed to do...protect you.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

20+ years ago i totalled my car when I rear ended someone while delivering for Domino's. I hit the guy so hard he hit the vehicle in front of him. My insurance was responsible for two other vehicles. Afterwards my boss, who was also the owner, let me drive the company owned delivery vehicle. Unfortunately, as i was trying to take a left across two lanes the exact same thing happened to me. Someone in the first lane waved me across so i just accellerated without checking lane two. Imagine wrecking your own car, FOUR other peoples vehicles, receiving multiple tickets, and losing your job over it, all in a week.

I haven't been in an accident or received a ticket in 20 years

Last edited by Crai6m4ck; 05-25-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Crai6m4ck
20+ years ago i totalled my car when I rear ended someone while delivering for Domino's. I hit the guy so hard he hit the vehicle in front of him. My insurance was responsible for two other vehicles. Afterwards my boss, who was also the owner, let me drive the company owned delivery vehicle. Unfortunately, as i was trying to take a left across two lanes the exact same thing happened to me. Someone in the first lane waved me across so i just accellerated without checking lane two. Imagine wrecking your own car, FOUR other peoples vehicles, receiving multiple tickets, and losing your job over it, all in a week.

I haven't been in an accident or received a ticket in 20 years
Wow... That is horrible. I can imagine what my state of mind would be in that scenario and it is nowhere positive.

On other news. I just spoke with the body shop and the estimate is over $14,000. So I am definitely looking at a total loss. He did say that the engine was fine though so there is a possibility that the Shokan people might be interested. I'm going to give them a call and see what they say.

A humorous tidbit. The guy at the shop who has my car called me today with a problem. He asked me if the battery was in the trunk to which I replied that it was. He then told me that the battery was dead. I told him I thought it might be because the tow yard did not completely close the driver side door when they dropped it off their truck and I noticed it yesterday when I went to get my things. He then told me that the keys were in the ignition and he couldn't get them out. This is exactly why I never used the key in the manual ignition. I told him about the manual key release and he was able to retrieve the key though so I didn't have to make an extra trip.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

14K sounds like an initial estimate without tear down for the supplemental. Not sure if I would trust a shop that asked me where the battery is located. On a side note, Raleigh is pretty cool, I visit a friend who lives in Fuquay-Varina. There is a good steak house near NC State, I just cant remember the name.

I'm glad your OK, good luck in replacing your D3.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
14K sounds like an initial estimate without tear down for the supplemental. Not sure if I would trust a shop that asked me where the battery is located. On a side note, Raleigh is pretty cool, I visit a friend who lives in Fuquay-Varina. There is a good steak house near NC State, I just cant remember the name.

I'm glad your OK, good luck in replacing your D3.
I have a friend who just moved back from the Roswell area to Fuquay. Fuquay's a neat little town.