A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering installing AMI USB cable ~Can some some advice on my software version?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering installing AMI USB cable ~Can some some advice on my software version?

Hi guys ~

Finally my 6disc CD changer is FULL and considering installing AMI USB

cable.but I was told if the MMI version is not supported it will not

work. Also upgrading MMI seems pretty difficult,

I did previous search but wasn't sure. I attached a copy of my current

version, do I need to upgrade my MMI if I want to take this route? It seems

every other approach cost over$300 easy. I just need USB no

need other format.

Also does the car support WAV format by any chance? Only MP3?
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2016, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you already have AMI? If you do then it will be a piece of cake. If you are tech savvy you can download and burn the update discs. My only worry would be what version to use, USA or european. If you have to buy the discs it's still pretty cheap. But if you don't have AMI then it can get expensive. Well I wouldn't call $$400-500 expensive but it's a lot of money just to interface a device to a car stereo. My car doesn't have Bluetooth or AMI so the Dension with bluetooth is the best option for me.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

For the love of everything good, do not use a burned disc. Make sure you get an original, official disc, if you want to do it yourself. I don't know what parts suppliers there are in Seoul, so the only place I can point you to is the dealer. Unfortunately, the cost is the cost, most significantly cheaper ones are burned discs. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but a non original disc can cause problems that can leave you with bigger issues, up to completely bricking your MMI. I can't advocate that kind of gamble.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Or don't burn the discs yourself. It's your choice. Lot's of info out there on the pro's and con's. I burned my own discs. My software was so old I had to upgrade in two steps so therefore I had to burn two versions. No issues whatsoever. Just don't take shortcuts.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
For the love of everything good, do not use a burned disc. Make sure you get an original, official disc, if you want to do it yourself. I don't know what parts suppliers there are in Seoul, so the only place I can point you to is the dealer. Unfortunately, the cost is the cost, most significantly cheaper ones are burned discs. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but a non original disc can cause problems that can leave you with bigger issues, up to completely bricking your MMI. I can't advocate that kind of gamble.
+1 been there done that.
No fun getting another Mimi head unit then getting cp done if you can't get one with cp already removed.
Use a factory disk.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hundreds if not thousands have successfully updated with burned discs. Is it a risk? Sure. but if you read up on the subject and burn the discs properly it's an easy process. My biggest concern for the OP is what software version to use on a South Korean car.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

We just had to talk a member thru re doing work created with burned disks. His system was locked up and useless for the many x time it took to resolve. And he was very lucky to actually recover from a near death experience; that is rare. Started Christmas day and took about 10 days of worrying and sorting from there; quite the holiday nightmare. Not uncommon fact pattern, user background/newish owner, etc. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2893846/page2/

The USA disks cost all of like $30 for the two disk set via online dealer. MMI that gets bricked is like 50x that. Play on through with gun in hand--Russian Roulette that is. The disks are also copyrighted, but here the quasi random self policing control head death penalty or at least MMI penitentiary isolation unit for a while is an interesting twist. Just keep repeating "feeling lucky" when loading that first downloaded disk in the CD player 6 shooter and spin it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-29-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As I said earlier, there are risks. The OP should read up on the subject and make his own decision. You won't change my mind as I've done it and it worked perfectly. My concern for the OP is what version of software to use on a South Korean car. The link below simply shows North America and then Europe / ROW. I'm not familiar enough with cars outside the US to say that the Europe / ROW software is correct for his car. The link does have part#'s so he can try and source the discs.

Audi Resource - Firmware versions
Old 01-29-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also will to update the firmware in the AMI. There used to be a link to the firmware available, I will look for it. You update by placing the files on a DOS formatted USB.

Mine was "Broken" for over a year without this update. Only an old IPOD first generation would work with the AMI.

Found it, thread and download link HERE

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 01-29-2016 at 10:34 AM.