A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clogged sunroof drains totaled my car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clogged sunroof drains totaled my car!

So I've been in a dark place for several weeks. One evening it rained incessantly ALL NIGHT LONG and into the morning.

When I came out to leave for work, I noticed water on the center console, in the foot wells, on the seats, etc. I did my best to dry everything up. The water was coming down through the sunroof vent, directly above the center console. Apparently the sunroof drains were clogged.

After drying everything up, I tried to start the car, but no dice. Nada. I called the local Audi dealer and had them flatbed it in. The initial diagnosis was $4000, which I agreed to pay. As they got into the repair, they found water in the fuse panels and phoned me back to say the wiring harness would have to be replaced. That $4000 went up to $18,000! Needless to say, I filed a claim with my insurance carrier who promptly totaled the car.

Anyone have any experience with MB S600's? Found a 2007 with low miles that I'd love to buy, but am hesitant because I can't find an extended warranty for it...
Old 03-02-2015, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That absolutely stinks...no experience on my end with the MB S600s, but good luck with it.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Fuse panel is about 2 ft up from the floor; I would not be shocked if the dealer was out to screw you. Unless it was raining salt water, I don't see how the entire body harness could be ruined, especially given all the wires are insulated.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by halik
Fuse panel is about 2 ft up from the floor; I would not be shocked if the dealer was out to screw you. Unless it was raining salt water, I don't see how the entire body harness could be ruined, especially given all the wires are insulated.
I was skeptical too, and being that I'm the actual insurance agent who insures the car, I had close ties to the adjuster, who I made certain was on his game when it came to settling the claim and making certain we weren't being taken. I physically inspected the car at the dealer (which I also insure) and could see the water damage in both fuse panels on either side of the car. It was a mess. I absolutely LOVED that car and pleaded with the adjuster not to total it. It's not easy finding one with all the options I had, including B&O sound.

I've looked for other A8's/A8L's from 2007 to 2009, but haven't found one with the B&O sound in it, unfortunately. I got a little spoiled by that!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am sorry to hear about you loss. I will be honest, I teared up a bit reading that. Best of luck finding something else, I am sure you will.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know if you did any diagnostics on your D3 on your own, but if you did, you will not be happy moving to a MB. Mercedes uses STAR/DAS as their diag tool which basically costs over a grand and you can't do everything you want with it or get "updates"--seems there are still a lot of functions/settings that only a dealer can modify--Merc seems to really want to control the aftermarket once their cars are out of warranty.

In addition, the forums for Mercedes are awful compared to Audi...and BMW, and VW and Porsche--I have been on Rennlist, bimmerforums, golfmk6, vwvortex, IH8Mud, all over the place depending on cars I have owned so I have an informed opinion. The best Mercedes board I have found is MBworld.org, and there just isn't the same degree of knowledge, information and camaraderie as some of the others [and ESPECIALLY this board].

Something to consider as you make a purchase, especially with cars out of warranty. Sorry to hear about the A8 and hope you find something you like to replace it!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default I check mine weekly

Originally Posted by pmdeaver
So I've been in a dark place for several weeks. One evening it rained incessantly ALL NIGHT LONG and into the morning.

When I came out to leave for work, I noticed water on the center console, in the foot wells, on the seats, etc. I did my best to dry everything up. The water was coming down through the sunroof vent, directly above the center console. Apparently the sunroof drains were clogged.

After drying everything up, I tried to start the car, but no dice. Nada. I called the local Audi dealer and had them flatbed it in. The initial diagnosis was $4000, which I agreed to pay. As they got into the repair, they found water in the fuse panels and phoned me back to say the wiring harness would have to be replaced. That $4000 went up to $18,000! Needless to say, I filed a claim with my insurance carrier who promptly totaled the car.

Anyone have any experience with MB S600's? Found a 2007 with low miles that I'd love to buy, but am hesitant because I can't find an extended warranty for it...
The dreaded clogged roof drains are scary. I check mine weekly.
I run it through one of the "touch less" gas station car washes. Once out pull over to get gas and look to see that all four drains are dumping water. They will drain for 10 minutes or so after the wash.
If one plugs I will try the fishing line fix. But knowing one is not working before flooding the interior should prevent this catastrophic failure.
The soapy water from the wash may even help keep the lines clear. It cannot hurt.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

This reminds me, i'll be cleaning mine once this weather breaks.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraCommander
This reminds me, i'll be cleaning mine once this weather breaks.
Procedure for cleaning them out? Compressed air? How many drain points are there?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

That really sucks. Hope you find the light at the end of that dark tunnel.

Quick Reply: Clogged sunroof drains totaled my car!