A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control problem, or is it me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Climate control problem, or is it me?

I live in a hot climate and keep my climate control setting on auto at 72 most of the time and recently have noticed that as soon as I turn on my car, hot air blows for 10-15 seconds before the air gets cold.

On my old Audi allroad and old VW Jetta GLX with auto climate control, the fan would not blow any air until it could send out air of the appropriate temp.

I just noticed the hot air blowing recently and cannot figure out if it is a new defect or that I just never noticed it before on the D3.

I definately remember that back when I lived up north, when I had the heater on upon startup in my past VAG cars that the fan would not blow cold air either until the engine heated up a little.

Am I making sense? Am I crazy?

If anybody has any insight, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mine will do the same on a hot day. On start on a hot day the fan(s) will ..

go to the max, warm (and humid) air is blown out which I have always assumed was just the air in the system that has heated all day, and then the air begins to cool as the compressors begin to take effect.
I don't know how you could expect anything else unless you buy the solar panel option
Old 06-20-2007, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Re: Mine will do the same on a hot day. On start on a hot day the fan(s) will ..

Mine has always blown out hot air on hot days when Auto is set. When cold outside and defrost is NOT set to on, the system waits until there is some warm engine coolant before the blower motor(s) turn on to start circulating air.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car blows hot air at startup in summer, seems normal.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I guess its me ! thanks for the insight.

I realize of course that this makes sense for it to blow some hot air first, but I guess with summer getting started it became more noticable. I just remembered how the car, in the cold, will not blow cold air until the engine warms up and extrapolated this to mean the same thing would happen in the heat.

thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default On "normal" heat setting, it's not using the "compressor" to "condition" the air..

It's normal for the car to blow hotish air until compressor cools the air in the vents enough to feel it. Just noticed more so while at the beach last week. I even found myself finding tree cover for shade and cracking the windows abit while going inside the restaurant, grocery store, etc. I will go to extremes to find "cover" for Greyboy.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Mine will do the same on a hot day. On start on a hot day the fan(s) will ..

I agree with nischal,
all of my past audis would not blow hard until the air going through the system cooled off, I have thought to myself many of times (as a steamy hot blast of air melted my face) that they had left this feature off of my A8... glad to know that I was not the only one that noticed this.
Khogz
Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And the birds thank you for the easy target ;-)
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: And the birds thank you for the easy target ;-) A true-ism for sure...

but at the beach, I find seagulls like open shots as they don't sit in trees!

Plus I'm more of an "angle to the sun tree parking" kind of guy versus a direct underneath parker.

I also like shade for my paint as well not just the enterior cooling factor.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I went with the solar roof and don't have to worry about finding shade

Quick Reply: Climate control problem, or is it me?