A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clicking noise when radio cuts off

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking noise when radio cuts off

My radio has been intermittent for the last month and my phone has also stopped working through the bluetooth. Today I discovered a clicking sound coming from the back of car(inside)every time the radio cuts off.I found this by accident since I was running a scan with the engine off.It seems that it's coming from the big rear speaker located in middle .Any idea what it can be?
Relay?Or the BT module causing it?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2016, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

One of your modules is broken. Most likely phone module. Try insulating it with the optic loop.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
One of your modules is broken. Most likely phone module. Try insulating it with the optic loop.
where can I find the sound system control module? Dealership said that was my problem
Old 04-06-2024, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnd64
M. Today I discovered a clicking sound coming from the back of car(inside)every time the radio cuts off.I found this by accident since I was running a scan with the engine off.It seems that it's coming from the big rear speaker located in middle
Today I experienced this. Parked and started. MMI screen opened like it usually does but then nothing. It tried to reboot because I saw the boot logo for a bit and then the screen went blank. The buttons or the wheel did nothing. Tried the hard reset with no luck. The screen between the clusters also did not have any detail. When I got home I played with it a bit and hear the clicking coming from the big middle speaker in the rear. Will scan and see what shows up.

The car drives but the MMI screen is stuck open but the screen is completely blank and off. It will try to reboot from time to time but I am not sure of the pattern. I cannot close the screen either.
The following users liked this post:
trinityleeee (04-15-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update: The issue seems to be with my Mr12Volt! I unplugged the optical splitter from the unit but left everything else connected. I then put a loop on that end of the optical splitter and voila the MMI worked like stock. Left a message for support. Hopefully it isn't defective. I have had it only a year and 4 months approximately.
The following users liked this post:
trinityleeee (04-15-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Have you tried updating the Mr12volt with the latest firmware? Download it from their website.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Support got back to me after a day. They suggested the same. I was able to get it updated blindly because the mr12volt never could be seen on the screen. I put the SD Card in and then plugged in the power cables and after it started to blink similar to the YouTube video. I wasn't sure if it would update without booting up. Seems to have done the trick. I will put it all back together tonight after some more testing. One other thing to note is that most people rest it on top of the ventilation system behind the dash and I did the same. I would advise to put a small bit of sponge or carpet under it as it does get hot enough to deform the plastic a bit if you use the heat often.

But definitely something with the optical bus caused the clicking. VCDS showed the same, none of the convenience modules could be seen. Support also suggested to clean the optical connections on the splitter and unit, which I did with alchohol and air. The changelog showed some MOST and CAN bus fixes for versions newer than what I had, which was 20221019.