A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The chrome trim is a thing of the past!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not dropping it much at all, maybe an inch at most to eat the wheel gap up, the 21" wheels will do the rest. I had the links made for $200, not bad actually.

Now I just have to pull the trigger on which wheel design? The HRE P40SC or P44SC, I'm torn between the two. I'm having them made at a fraction of the cost HRE charges, about a third of what they charge to be exact. Same exact wheel and specs cut from the exact same wheel blank that costs $400. I can't pay them $10K-$12k, their mark up is crazy. Also my wheels will be done in less than 4 days, HRE wants 6 weeks minimum. I love their wheels and have ran them on my cars in the past but my eyes have been opened.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In my opinion the grill and window trim are the worst. I couldn't stand it!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tdawg183
Yeah. Definitely doesn't deserve the pimp-my-ride comments. Looks good and if it's your taste then the more the better.

I would have left the grill alone and get off those winter wheels asap. Just a little too much black from the side shots right now.
In my opinion the grill and window trim are the worst. I couldn't stand it!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look. Makes it look more sporty. Totally opposite direction of "pimp my ride", adding chrome would make it more pimp. If anything, you've made it less pimp. I always liked the lack of chrome trimmings on the Shadow Line BMWs too.

I feel like maybe gunmetal wheels or black with polished lip would stand out more. Black wheels are popular and look good up close, but they blend into the tire when seen from a distance. There have been times from a distance that the only way I can tell the difference between big wheels with low profile tires and 16" steelies is that if it's a nice car, it's not likely to have steelies.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your car looks good man. I was planning to do a brushed aluminum look on my a8's chrome molding.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl2k
Obviously you like your car to look like something from the 80's! You probably wear socks with sandals as well.

Look at all the new Euros, no chrome except for maybe the grill. The car looks much sportier. The black wheels are just for my winter setup but they look good on the car none the less. Obviously people around here are afraid to step outside the box when it comes to personalizing their car.

The car just had way to much chrome, with everything body matched the car looks smaller and sportier.

"Pimp my Ride" I bet you get super excited every time you get a chance to use that lame *** line!
I don't know your criteria when you selected teams, probably those who like your car on one side and those with socks and sandals on the other, but somehow i fill I am on Mister Bally's team.

So, starting with European cars, check 2014 luxury cars. A8/S8 should be compared to them, not to the latest Fiat 500.

Than, there are all kinds of personalizations and all of them expose the creators wishes about himself/herself. This one looks good, but so the makeup does. Unfortunately it doesn't make your car any sportier. Just like makeup doesn't make your vision 20/20. On the other hand Mister Bally's chip upgrade makes his A8 40 mph faster, definitely sportier, perfect for disappear in a distance line.

Last edited by mishar; 03-21-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
I like the look. Makes it look more sporty. Totally opposite direction of "pimp my ride", adding chrome would make it more pimp. If anything, you've made it less pimp. I always liked the lack of chrome trimmings on the Shadow Line BMWs too.

I feel like maybe gunmetal wheels or black with polished lip would stand out more. Black wheels are popular and look good up close, but they blend into the tire when seen from a distance. There have been times from a distance that the only way I can tell the difference between big wheels with low profile tires and 16" steelies is that if it's a nice car, it's not likely to have steelies.
The black wheels are only my winter setup. My new wheels will be a one piece monoblock brushed with a tinted clear finish
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
I don't know your criteria when you selected teams, probably those who like your car on one side and those with socks and sandals on the other, but somehow i fill I am on Mister Bally's team.

So, starting with European cars, check 2014 luxury cars. A8/S8 should be compared to them, not to the latest Fiat 500.

Than, there are all kinds of personalizations and all of them expose the creators wishes about himself/herself. This one looks good, but so the makeup does. Unfortunately it doesn't make your car any sportier. Just like makeup doesn't make your vision 20/20. On the other hand Mister Bally's chip upgrade makes his A8 40 mph faster, definitely sportier, perfect for disappear in a distance line.

Is there a tune out there for the S8 that gives a 40hp bump, if so which one is it?

Also I didn't say anything about the car performs better or feels sportier, I was simply referring to the appearance.

Everyone has an opinion and there own sense of style, just some better than others, and when it comes to cars and making them look good I'm on the latter team. Check my pic poster for a reference of some of my old cars. I can start posting my AMG's, M5's and V10 Touareg pics if you'd like to further see what makes a car look good.

Last edited by pearl2k; 03-21-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

The black wheels are only my winter setup. My new wheels will be a one piece monoblock brushed with a tinted clear finish
Sounds like that should look quite nice. Of the two designs you like, I prefer P44SC. It has a cleaner look.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there a tune out there for the S8 that gives a 40hp bump, if so which one is it?

Also I didn't say anything about the car performs better or feels sportier, I was simply referring to the appearance.

Everyone has an opinion and there own sense of style, just some better than others, and when it comes to cars and making them look good I'm on the latter team. Check my pic poster for a reference of some of my old cars. I can start posting my AMG's, M5's and V10 Touareg pics if you'd like to further see what makes a car look good.
I think you are missing the point. First, this means not completely serious. Than, 40 mph has nothing to do with 40 HP. Just with very low speed limiter for North America. And the most important: I said that your car looks good, but if somebody doesn't think so it doesn't justify "lame *** line" and "socks with sandals". You may have extraordinary sense of stile but your people skills ...

P.S. I bet you that you will wear socks with sandals at one point. It is not always mater of style. I just hope you will remember this, if anything at all.

Quick Reply: The chrome trim is a thing of the past!!