A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevron Techron+Shell V-POWER=extra 2MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Radiation Joe
I drive 25k miles per year and mix Shell and Sunoco. I even add Techron periodically to clean things up. There is ZERO improvement with any combination of the above. Stating that there is a difference between fuel brands just proves the poster to be a tool.
Are you commenting on this because you drive an Audi A8 like the rest of us, or a 2011 M3, as your status shows? No, I doubt Techron would have the same effect on a 2011 M3. Completely different engine. Want to take a look at the Porsche forum to see if it makes a difference for them (it does). Not a very qualified response.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive 25k miles per year and mix Shell and Sunoco. I even add Techron periodically to clean things up. There is ZERO improvement with any combination of the above. Stating that there is a difference between fuel brands just proves the poster to be a tool.
woah, someone **** in your fruit loops?

Last edited by transporter2004; 09-21-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Well, he can not be a COMPLETE tool because he doesn't drive a BMW.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to see your mpg increase, use non-oxygenated fuel. Way more BTU's per gallon. Ethanol and MTBE kill mileage.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneplank
If you want to see your mpg increase, use non-oxygenated fuel. Way more BTU's per gallon. Ethanol and MTBE kill mileage.
Not that big difference in energy level. Ethanol has about 20% less and combined with maximum of 10% of ethanol comes to maximum of 2% less energy.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously not the most gentle post I've ever typed. Maybe my meds were a little off.

But come on folks, 2mpg due to adding Techron? It's a great fuel additive, but it's not magic.

And to allay any misconceptions ... I am a jerk. M3 drivers have no friends.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

But come on folks, 2mpg due to adding Techron? It's a great fuel additive, but it's not magic.
Actually it is. If you use gas without any injector cleaner for some time and than treat it with one, not necessarily Techron, difference in consumption and performance would be even greater. Pump gases already have some of those additives but it still helps. 2 mpg is less than 10%. Not a big deal.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Actually it is. If you use gas without any injector cleaner for some time and than treat it with one, not necessarily Techron, difference in consumption and performance would be even greater. Pump gases already have some of those additives but it still helps. 2 mpg is less than 10%. Not a big deal.
Sorry, skeptic in me chalks this one up to experimental error. I'm pretty sure statistics will back me up. I've run Techron, Redline and Sea Foam with no noticeable difference in mileage. I still recommend running a cleaner, different from your normal fuel additive, occasionally, but unless you've run a few tanks of mud through your engine, they won't make a significant difference. They're just good preventative maintenance.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I only fill up my 1967 V8 Impala twice a year. I fill up my A8 once a week.

Therefore my Impala uses less fuel.
My A8 has all that emission crap the gubmet says I need, too!
I wish I had a BMW, Maybe then people would believe me.
(Adjusts tinfoil hat).

And no, I have never used any kind of fuel injector cleaner in the Impala. The impala's fuel injectors were replaced last year when they did the glow plugs. Besides, my rabbi says those who use fuel additives are faygeleh.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Only way you'd possibly get any slightly noticeable increase in gas mileage in an otherwise clean engine is if the additive increases the octane rating of the fuel. If so then the ECU is able to advance the timing more than normal so generating a bit more power per unit of fuel meaning that you don't need to use as much gas to achieve the same results.

Usually takes 3 full tanks to completely use up all the additive added to the initial tank.

Quick Reply: Chevron Techron+Shell V-POWER=extra 2MPG