A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing Bulb

So I really have to tear half the front end off to change this bulb??
Attached Thumbnails Changing Bulb-img_0900.jpg  
Old 02-25-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really, which side is it. US passenger side is easier to access once the air box is removed. US driver side I was able to move the power steering reservoir just a bit to contort my hand in there and change it. Some have said they had to go through the fender liner to access it, but after enough trying you can get it from topside
Old 02-25-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike141
Not really, which side is it. US passenger side is easier to access once the air box is removed. US driver side I was able to move the power steering reservoir just a bit to contort my hand in there and change it. Some have said they had to go through the fender liner to access it, but after enough trying you can get it from topside
US drivers side! I did move the PS reservoir but couldn't get my hand deep inuff in there! Thought I'd have to remove the hole headlight to change it?!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

For W12 where access just behind headlights is already a nightmare in general with the very wide motor and twin air boxes way toward front, answer is typically obvious and already mentioned. What ever the motor.

Just remove fender liner. Once you do it once, 10 minutes out, 10 on. 15 more if you jack up and pull wheel. I would learn it for any real DIY work. Used for upper control arms and air compressor too, so it's a "when not if." Just need about 5 sacrificial plastic push pins from dealer to not waste at least an hour trying (and usually failing) to fix ones you punch and pry out. BTDT. Or buy 10 now and save 5 for the next time ... BTDT too for the next "when not if" for D3 DIY.

And, yes, exactly how I get to back of headlight for HID or whatever bulbs. Never pulled a headlight, and since W12 and no timing belt, actually happily never pulled or moved forward front clip even.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24020025
Old 02-25-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
The proper service manual or All Data access is the best source. Basically mandatory for working on these vehicles. Buy it like many of us have done.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidlorrain
US drivers side! I did move the PS reservoir but couldn't get my hand deep inuff in there! Thought I'd have to remove the hole headlight to change it?!
Just yank it out by the wires. It is easier to put it back.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the great info!! 70 degrees here yesterday, 30 and snowy today so will try to change it next week!!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Pull the forward wheel liner. Makes it very easy to get access to the rear of the headlight.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat. This bulb is odd. I also have the Drivers side out but that is just one of the problems. Took out the steering fluid reservoir and still can not get the bulb out.
Next I took out the air box on the passenger side. With all that room it still does not help. If you take the "main" bulb out next to it you have the most room you can have. Does it twist out or just pull out?

Quick Reply: Changing Bulb