A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central locking and interior courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central locking and interior courtesy lights

Hello all

After fixing some other issues with my a8 I have come across 2 more smaller one can't get a scan done for 2 weeks but hoping there some other help I can get one here

First one is the central locking some days the remote button and the keyless entry is working fine sometime a hour or sometimes a few days latter then none will work and have to use the let to manually open the door

Second is the interior courtesy lights does not mater how many time I turn them off they are always on when I open the doors
Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Try new battery...

Might be both are related. If central (un)locking by remote, keyless entry, etc. are not working when returning to the car, those are almost always indicators the A8 power management system is cutting in to shed the comfort but non-critical functions to save the main battery juice to get the car started. 90% + of the time it comes up and from being here many years now--and no matter how hard the poster goes into denial mode (advance hint...) it comes back to the main battery. Given it's winter (in the Northern Hemisphere, and even darker in Scotland) real soon now, if your battery is either of unknown age or more than a few years old, do yourself a favor and just change it out.

On interior lights, if you mean the defeat function for the turning on (aka the cop car surveillance and teen make out function), of course be sure you are hitting the correct part of the switch to kill them. If so and it's a soft switch function (I forget), again could be vehicle "losing" the setting as the battery sheds non-critical power consumers to keep itself alive. Back to try a new battery first and see if it resolves. More generally, old vs. new batteries tend to resolve all kinds of seeming electrical gremlins that are byproducts of the power management system being unyielding in its cut power choices.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-10-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

(aka the cop car surveillance and teen make out function)

Love this !
Old 12-10-2014, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Gotta still think young...
Old 12-12-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice one cheers I have seen the battey management light pop on now and then but when I check the battey level with the mmi screen it's showing around the 60% mark so think he's battery will be first port of call I'm sure iv read some where that the battery has to be coded to the car should this be true
Old 12-12-2014, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, battery is supposed to be coded to car. But...

Audi instructions say code battery to car. You do it in the power management module, which pretty obviously then reaches an immediate conclusion it must have the full rated ampere hours and cranking ability of the given new one that is spec'ed/chosen.

But of course the system also learns somehow a battery is degrading and then adjusts its calculations too. It could be it is only programmed to move capacity calcs downward until a recode, but a reasonable guess is it looks at things over time and then adapts as needed. Thus, recoding may be a way to force it to adapt immediately, but it may learn (in both directions) as it goes anyway.

In practice, more than a few have just thrown a battery in and soldiered on. I recoded, but then I have VCDS/VAG COM.