A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brought her home tonite..a few questions including fixes and warranties

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought her home tonite..a few questions including fixes and warranties

So I brought home the A8 tonite from Palisades Audi. While my salesman was nice, I couldn't help but feel as if I was no different than some shlub buying a used VW passat off their lot. Fedex came late so I made it to the dealership 30min before closing.

That being said, the car had just came out of detail and was shining. A ding on the right rear door was left un-fixed...they chose (as per the dealer) to fix the bumper and not the ding. I had no idea of the ding...I was under the impression that body was perfect. Anyway, that's a $100 repair so no big deal.

The next thing I notice upon having my delivery was the driver's door umbrella pocket is not catching. I hadn't noticed it and just signed for the car. The dealership was already closed and the salesman said that it's a common problem and too expensive to fix. Again, i wasn't told of it, nor did I ask about it. Mea culpa I suppose.

At the financing meeting I was presented with warranty options. 3yr/50k for about $3200. $100 deductible. Worth it? Also was an $1100 tire/wheel warranty that would cover any damage/repair up to $4000 benefit total.

I abstained from the warranties but i'm sure I could make a stink on monday to add them into the sale if I really wanted. The driver's umbrella pocket has me peeved. I had driven all the way there, and with the dealer closed and my ride already 30minutes gone, I didn't know what to do.

I'll post some pics tomorrow...she's a beaut! Any feedback or tips would be great.

I'm also looking for ways to utilize the MMI...voice commands and logic aren't as good as my current bmw's Idrive but it's a 4 year newer car.

Thanks for all your help and I hope that I can contribute to this forum as well. I just hope it's not due to me needing to fix my ride all that much!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

What year is your A8?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Crisis3
What year is your A8?
2007. They told me it was oyster but i'm not sure of the color. I'll post pics tomorrow when there's daylight and perhaps people can help me out.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

The day after I brought home my s8 I spent about 4-5 hours reading the owners manual. I suggest you start there if unfamiliar with the car/features/mmi. The voice command works well once you program it. You can voice tag radio stations (am/fm/xm) as well as phone contacts and locations via gps. I only have a few contacts or locations with voice tags but it is a nice feature. I have my home address set to "home" so if I'm out I can click the voice command/"navigate to: home" and presto!
The interior piece shouldn't be a pain to repair/replace, not sure about the ding as the door is aluminum also, it might have to be repaired by a "professional" shop.
Good luck with it!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
The day after I brought home my s8 I spent about 4-5 hours reading the owners manual. I suggest you start there if unfamiliar with the car/features/mmi. The voice command works well once you program it. You can voice tag radio stations (am/fm/xm) as well as phone contacts and locations via gps. I only have a few contacts or locations with voice tags but it is a nice feature. I have my home address set to "home" so if I'm out I can click the voice command/"navigate to: home" and presto!
The interior piece shouldn't be a pain to repair/replace, not sure about the ding as the door is aluminum also, it might have to be repaired by a "professional" shop.
Good luck with it!
Thanks...im coming from bmws new idrive which is pretty intuitive. I have to understand that this system is a generation older.

Does the aluminum skin preclude normal dent repair?

Scott
L.I., NY
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Congratulations; on door pocket

Congrat's and welcome!

On door pocket, when I was changing some door switches on mine, I ended up manhandling the pocket assembly to get at the switches for the gas lid and such. I had to get it back together along the way, and managed. Thus, you could just take off the door card and try to fix it--if it is just mechanical that is, and not a broken part. Alternately, look on e bay and from time to time you may find an identical door card if you are lucky. Or...get the dealer to fix it.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default You can do normal dent repair

In theory they should have a different tool set for aluminum, but if there is no painting involved anyway, it shouldn't matter.

I got 5 or 6 cleaned off of mine a few years ago via a local "dentless" repair service, including a nasty one in the rear door that was pretty deep and distinctly dented in. All came out great. Only area they could not reach was a few inches in front of the gas tank filler lid; fortunately that one was very small.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

New to the Forum,Congrats on the new acquisition,hope it brings smiles as I do-have the same year. Regarding the extended warranty- your dealer offers "Portfolio Protection" plan I believe which i was contemplating also-hundreds of posts on this topic whether to get or not...
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scottybooj
The next thing I notice upon having my delivery was the driver's door umbrella pocket is not catching. I hadn't noticed it and just signed for the car. The dealership was already closed and the salesman said that it's a common problem and too expensive to fix. Again, i wasn't told of it, nor did I ask about it. Mea culpa I suppose.
The A8 has the most layered door guts I have ever seen. That being said, the interior of the door is actually relatively easy to disassemble. I had my 2004 apart to replace a broken window motor (between the third and fourth layer of components), but I managed to get the interior door panel off without even damaging any plastic fasteners. There are pretty good step by step instructions on this forum when you do a search. You have to remove the wood trim and I think the speaker grille, and some screws in the pockets. All of the fasteners are differnt heads and sizes of course. That pocket (or pockets if its an A8L) are attached the panel and pretty much accessible for inspection or repair. You could probably even find an entire inner door panel in the same color for cheap on ebay or import junk yards and just remove and replace with new and be done.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relative to the pocket door, I think it's as easy as replacing the black plastic pegs that hold the door in from the inside of the pocket. Same thing happened to mine, and I noticed the black peg laying inside the pocket. I replaced it and the door folds in and out correctly now.

Quick Reply: Brought her home tonite..a few questions including fixes and warranties