A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad brake light switch symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I think all those Elvis's left the building...like 10 years ago now...

You might search for more current posts that fit your symptoms first, get a scan and then follow up here. See sticky post at top of current page.
thank you
Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by audisuper
thank you
Brake light switch will not cause the symptoms you are experiencing. When the brake light switch goes out, the whole ESP system is disengaged, which de-activates cruise control, traction control, etc. Look for my early posts as I had this diagnosed and replaced. Yours could be an ICV (Idle control valve), or idk?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My brake lights would stay on all night killing the battery.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Please help

My car wouldn't start. Radio, lights, horn, nothing. So I got a jump and went to auto zone to get a new battery.. When they unhooked the negative and positive cable to remove the battery my emergency lights started blinking. So Auto zone done a diagnostic and said my battery was good but my alternator was a little below average... Now my emergency lights wont go off, and it keeps making this loud beeping noise, and my ESP light won't go off.. I am going to take it To the dealer, but if this is something I could fix myself I will. Please help
Old 07-12-2018, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Question

Did not want to start a new thread, would a bad brake switch(vag-com scan) cause my car to not shift gears? It will get stuck on all gears till redline like if it was on sport mode, only way that it will shift thru the gears is if I move the shift lever from D to manual and then back to D. The brake switch code is showing on vag-com log that it appeared at the same time of when the car started behaving this way.

Thanks for y’all help on this matter in advance! Ps am ordering the brake switch ASAP as the car is not drivable with this issue.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Riubens
Did not want to start a new thread, would a bad brake switch(vag-com scan) cause my car to not shift gears? It will get stuck on all gears till redline like if it was on sport mode, only way that it will shift thru the gears is if I move the shift lever from D to manual and then back to D. The brake switch code is showing on vag-com log that it appeared at the same time of when the car started behaving this way.

Thanks for y’all help on this matter in advance! Ps am ordering the brake switch ASAP as the car is not drivable with this issue.
Those things are unrelated. I'm not sure why it's doing that, could be an issue in the mechatronics. When was the last time the fluid and filter was changed? What motor and transmission do you have, if I recall, European base models had a 5 speed different from what most people here are familiar with.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Agreed two issues probably unrelated. Thus
1. replace brake light switch,
2 if shifting issue not resolved, use VCDS (VAG COM) to scan transmission module to look for error codes. If you don't have that tool, go to a shop with similar equipment. It is not a simple OBDII generic reader to be clear; you need the Audi/VW specific tool (or the pro equivalents) to scan a lot of the specialized non-non engine modules like this. Might also be basic fluid level, which a shop could check. Even without the tool, if you see fluid leak signs around transmission car or pan area, a decent assumption is fluid level is low.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the reply, I did a transmission scan with the vcds an no codes, waiting to replace the brake switch to see if that fixes the problem. I will keep y’all updated for future reference.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Those things are unrelated. I'm not sure why it's doing that, could be an issue in the mechatronics. When was the last time the fluid and filter was changed? What motor and transmission do you have, if I recall, European base models had a 5 speed different from what most people here are familiar with.
the car is a 2007 FSi am located here In the United States, I have not changed the fluids or filter since I bought the car 3 years ago. I know the 2 things are unrelated but at the same time the brake switch code on the vcds time stamp is the same time that the car started behaving like that, definitely very strange. I did a scan in the transmission with the vcds and no codes , also disconnected the battery to see if that would reset the transmission and still the problem persists.
thanks for the help!
Old 07-13-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Riubens

the car is a 2007 FSi am located here In the United States, I have not changed the fluids or filter since I bought the car 3 years ago. I know the 2 things are unrelated but at the same time the brake switch code on the vcds time stamp is the same time that the car started behaving like that, definitely very strange. I did a scan in the transmission with the vcds and no codes , also disconnected the battery to see if that would reset the transmission and still the problem persists.
thanks for the help!
Okay, that makes it the ZF 6HP. The fluid level check is good go to, these get really weird with even just a bit low levels. A leak would be easy to spot, and these are known for it. While I in general don't believe in coincidence, I think that may be what this is, I really can't see how those two issues could affect one another. However, if the new switch has failed, you do need to replace it anyway, so why not?

Quick Reply: bad brake light switch symptoms