A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 d3 need help with head gasket!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A8 d3 need help with head gasket!!

Hello guys I'm very frustrated cuz of my car I just bought it a month ago and the head gasket is already gone. I have done valve cover gaskets on my old a8 and it was really hard to take the rear bolts off, could anyone please help me with that and what else to do to change head gasket if someone has done it already. Any help me would be appreciated
Old 01-21-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

That is not a job for the faint of heart. For the best advice, I recommend you tell people what year and what engine you have, there's a surprising number of engines that went into the D3, depending on where you are in the world.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Audia8ld3
Hello guys I'm very frustrated cuz of my car I just bought it a month ago and the head gasket is already gone. I have done valve cover gaskets on my old a8 and it was really hard to take the rear bolts off, could anyone please help me with that and what else to do to change head gasket if someone has done it already. Any help me would be appreciated
If you you had a hard time doing the valve gaskets, which is fairly straightforward, then the head gasket will be near impossible for you. Invariably on the larger engine Audi vehicles, the first step always tends to be "remove engine".

But before we get there, why do you believe your head gasket has an issue? What are the symptoms.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Invest in the service manual for your vehicle. You need to torque the head bolts in a particular order to a particular torque. They may be "torque to yield" fasteners. No youtube video or single paragraph on a message board/forum will be comprehensive enough to provide the important information you seek.
If I were to point you to the sticky at the top of the D3 thread; I'd be branded as being condescending. Yet, that sticky mentions this and a whole lot more.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Invest in the service manual for your vehicle. You need to torque the head bolts in a particular order to a particular torque. They may be "torque to yield" fasteners. No youtube video or single paragraph on a message board/forum will be comprehensive enough to provide the important information you seek.
If I were to point you to the sticky at the top of the D3 thread; I'd be branded as being condescending. Yet, that sticky mentions this and a whole lot more.
+1 on all of this. Read the sticky, buy a good manual or subscribe, and get good tools, if you intend to do the work yourself.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 492 Posts
Default +2

Originally Posted by raj99
If you you had a hard time doing the valve gaskets, which is fairly straightforward, then the head gasket will be near impossible for you. Invariably on the larger engine Audi vehicles, the first step always tends to be "remove engine".

But before we get there, why do you believe your head gasket has an issue? What are the symptoms.
Originally Posted by Mister Bally
+1 on all of this. Read the sticky, buy a good manual or subscribe, and get good tools, if you intend to do the work yourself.

+2--on each comment and the question. Plus, need to state what motor it is, year of car and where located...item 1 of sticky.

(...as someone who has done the job on an A6 4.2)

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-21-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Audia8ld3
If someone did it already take it back to them and see why they messed up.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Shark_V8
If someone did it already take it back to them and see why they messed up.
Didn't see anything in the OPs post about someone already replacing the head gasket for his specific car. However, what he did ask for was help "if someone has done it already", whereby he's basically just looking for assistance on how to do the job from folks who've "been there and done that".

Before anything else, as everyone else has asked for...the OP needs to provide more specifics on the actual car and of the symptoms which are impacting it.

Last edited by raj99; 01-21-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm sorry guys I'm new to this. It's 2006 AUDI A8l 4.2l
Old 01-21-2016, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Didn't see anything in the OPs post about someone already replacing the head gasket for his specific car. However, what he did ask for was help "if someone has done it already", whereby he's basically just looking for assistance on how to do the job from folks who've "been there and done that".

Before anything else, as everyone else has asked for...the OP needs to provide more specifics on the actual car and of the symptoms which are impacting it.
It's 2006 a8l 4.2

Quick Reply: Audi A8 d3 need help with head gasket!!