A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
The air compressor is located in front of the driver side wheel well. It is fairly easy to get at, because it is located close to the ground. You can get one online for around $400-600. Replace it yourself its not that big of a job.
I second this ^^

I ordered a Wabco compressor on eBay for €500 after my car had turned into a lowrider in my driveway overnight a few months ago, and replaced it myself in under an hour. I'm just reasonably intelligent but not even close to a mechanic, and I had no clue what it was gonna look like when I got in there. Hell, half of that time was spent getting the wheel and plastic cover off so I could just access it. After that it was just three bolts and a few connectors. Easier than changing a bulb.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Glad you bought a genuine WABCO part. George Westinghouse would be proud.

WABCO: Westinghouse Air Brake Company.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Glad you bought a genuine WABCO part. George Westinghouse would be proud.

WABCO: Westinghouse Air Brake Company.
That's cool, I always thought they were German!
Said "Made in India" on it though, which freaked me out a little bit thinking I had bought some sort of knock-off - until I got the old one out and noticed it was also a WABCO part .... made in India. Odd.

On the other hand, I would actually even entertain the idea of a $500 knock-off (assuming it was one) over the $4K+ job my Swedish dealer quoted me. Because it would probably say Made in India on that one too .....

Here it is http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-A8-D3-WA...item1c2e1fb76d
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When cold outside my car gets stuck in Dynamic mode. The Green/Amber silhouette lights flash & there's nothing I can do to get it out of this mode. It rides extremely low to the ground, especially up front. When it gets warm outside (above 55) the suspension seems to work fine.

Although, I've had issues with the car getting stuck in Dynamic mode since the day I bought it, but it hasnt brough on any serious issues.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

WABCO has their principal R&D and engineering in Hannover, Germany. Until ten years ago, most production was split between Hannover, France and Leeds (England). Now production also takes place in the US, Poland and India. It all depends on the component.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I dont seem to find aircompressor fuse(big orange) only relay..Can someone tell me where is the fuse ? 2006 A8 D3
Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mel Mellikas

N

I dont seem to find aircompressor fuse(big orange) only relay..Can someone tell me where is the fuse ? 2006 A8 D3
Search old threads by me for the D3 A8. December, 2006 or 2007 was when mine went. I recall posting a photo of the fuse. Behind the knee bolster/air bag assembly to the left of the steering column on my US A8*L.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As Mister Bally said, just above your left foot. Be careful there is an airbag there too.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Search old threads by me for the D3 A8. December, 2006 or 2007 was when mine went. I recall posting a photo of the fuse. Behind the knee bolster/air bag assembly to the left of the steering column on my US A8*L.
Thank You for help,the pictures are just black pictures,just for information is it under the passenger airbag dash?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I get only 3 fault codes
1 being over temp----makes sense
2 is 'leak in system'
and 3rd is suspension level control.

real bad list on front left and whole suspension seems to be driving in a safety shutdown mode.

can hear the compressor running but wondering if it's not getting enough power or able to build enough pressure ?

but I speculate the "leak" is the big issue.

how to heck to find a leak ??? aaaaahhh

Help Me Please.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 air suspension problem