A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a scissor lift or 2 post lift at home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use a scissor lift or 2 post lift at home?

I might purchase something to help in the minor repairs that I do to my cars. I am getting too old to crawl around and break my back, so I have been looking into both types of lifts. The scissor lift seems the least obtrusive to put in a garage, but the 2 post has its advantages. Just looking for specific thoughts from A8 owners!

Things I would likely work on:
-Oil changes
-Suspension issues
-Brakes
-Transmission fluid changes
-Exhaust
-Maybe timing belt
Old 12-31-2013, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by greginfinity
I might purchase something to help in the minor repairs that I do to my cars. I am getting too old to crawl around and break my back, so I have been looking into both types of lifts. The scissor lift seems the least obtrusive to put in a garage, but the 2 post has its advantages. Just looking for specific thoughts from A8 owners!

Things I would likely work on:
-Oil changes
-Suspension issues
-Brakes
-Transmission fluid changes
-Exhaust
-Maybe timing belt
For all of the very same reasons, age and consuming valuable space in my garage I have been eyeballing the scissor type. I will be interested to see other responses.

Happy New Year everyone.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We have an asymmetric two post lift made by Forward. It works great because the lift and arms are always out of the way for anything from oil change to brakes to exhaust. They're typically over $3000, but we bought it used from a dealer that was going out business for less than $1000.

Once you use one, you'll wonder how you worked without it. If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye out for auto shop auctions. There are cheap ones out there, but this is one tool I would not skimp on.

The only reason I see to buy a four post would be if you plan to use it to expand your garage, that is to keep a car in the air above another parked car. I've seen it done, but obviously not recommended.
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2013, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default I'm still...

on a combo of floor jack and ramps. I have a slope driveway so when I need to get it up but flat (like tranny fluid check) I put it nose down slope on the ramps and get it back to essentially flat--using a level on roof at known point to check. Harder w/ the A8 than my old A6 as a BTW since cheap level magnet doesn't stick to aluminum roof!. For brake jobs and such, I just do a side at a time in front with the floor jack--and jackstand for safety. In the back I can get it up by going under the rear diff center support to do both at once.

Yes, crawling under it gets old at my advancing age, but I don't think I want the tripping problem w/ something bolted to the floor, unless I went to the trouble of some kind of removable bolt stuff with big concrete anchors. I don't have the ceiling headroom for the more substantial up in the air rack type stuff, let alone want to spend the $$.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-31-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I look forward to building a "final resting place" in about 3 years. When I do, the plan is to install a 2-post like yours.

However, I have to disagree with your statement that storing additional cars on a four-post is not recommended. They are specifically designed to serve as platforms for storage.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gaspasser19

However, I have to disagree with your statement that storing additional cars on a four-post is not recommended. They are specifically designed to serve as platforms for storage.
Oh, I didn't mean they couldn't do it. In fact even the two post has adequate locks. I was thinking that I would not want to park my A8 under another vehicle (for fear of leaks, etc.)
Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Vondera's post regarding the 'joy' of having a 2 post lift. It does require a high ceiling, however.

I built a detached 'hobby garage' about 6 years ago, and use it frequently for the servicing/maintaining of our cars. The ceiling is 10'6" and gives me plenty of clearance for the cars and me working under them (but I'm only 5'7"). The header of the lift goes above the ceiling into a box area above it. This arrangement is fine for full size automobiles, but probably would not be satisfactory for SUV's, pickemup trucks, etc. 12' ceilings might be better for those vehicles.

Once you put the lift in you will NEVER regret it, as long as you enjoy working on your cars.

Gary-
Old 01-01-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Name:  Rampa008.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  127.6 KBName:  001-2_zpsbf26251d.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  137.4 KB

Last edited by mishar; 01-01-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks amazing, got some more pictures of it?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It's not as handy as hoist but not es expensive either.

Name:  Rampa012.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  105.9 KB

I like this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QSUAXQOoXuY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quick Reply: Anyone use a scissor lift or 2 post lift at home?