A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Inventive Solutions for Parking 4 Cars in LA, CA for a Month?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Any Inventive Solutions for Parking 4 Cars in LA, CA for a Month?

My brother is living with his girlfriend while he searches for a new place and has 4 cars. He has to move them each every day, it's becoming like a job for him. I cannot believe between his car buddies and his job as a photographer (who tells me about all these crazy abandoned locations they shoot - the hospital from "Scrubs" (which is a real disused hospital, fenced in and surrounded by parking) ; aircraft hangars, entire parts of towns that are fenced in and used for police chase training, old aircraft hangars - he cannot find ONE place.
He is going to Italy for a month but has this slight car problem. He is not rich and car storage in LA is terribly expensive.
The cars are nothing special and beaten up from on-street parking in LA (every time I talk to him someone has hit one of his cars again); a couple Alfas, a Scirocco and a 944S turbo (OK kind of special).
Does anybody on here have any ideas or have room for some cars? He is a seriously good photographer - not a kid with a DSLR, so maybe some barter could be worked out.
He is also normal, not a druggie, and not involved in any "drama" like some people. He also has rebuilt several Alfa V6s and his Porsche's engine so maybe mechanical barter?
I know, I should post in the regional section but does anybody read those?
Thanks for any ideas.
-Tom
Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
My brother is living with his girlfriend while he searches for a new place and has 4 cars. He has to move them each every day, it's becoming like a job for him. I cannot believe between his car buddies and his job as a photographer (who tells me about all these crazy abandoned locations they shoot - the hospital from "Scrubs" (which is a real disused hospital, fenced in and surrounded by parking) ; aircraft hangars, entire parts of towns that are fenced in and used for police chase training, old aircraft hangars - he cannot find ONE place.

-Tom
Where in L.A.? You cannot say "L.A." as if it was (pick any small city and insert)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Consider parking them by the old terminal at the Ontario Airport. Free parking. No shuttles or anything but what the heck.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Incaico
Where in L.A.? You cannot say "L.A." as if it was (pick any small city and insert)
Well, yeah, I sorta can; if you look up top there ^^^ I just did mijo.

Just yankin yer chain... I think he's willing to go anywhere to resolve this problem but living in Hollywood.

peace
Old 07-21-2014, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well he found a place, bartered photo work for spaces.

Incaico I hope you get my sense of humor, bud. I know what you mean, LA is, like, totally HUGE!
LOVE your car BTW.

Mister Bally, thanks for the tip. I told him and his response was "I find that hard to believe", regarding the free part. I told him you know what you're talking about.
By strange coincidence, I was out with the kids and learned where the only free parking is at Nashville airport on Saturday. They wanted to watch some planes land and I asked at a lot attendant booth; she directed me to the "employee overflow lot" and said that not only is it free but it's right under the busiest flight paths.

Last edited by aTOMic; 07-21-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

The old terminal building has been partitioned converted to some offices and the USO remains there. The old parking lot in front has no gates, fences or signs. You just park there. There is no shuttle service that I am aware of so the lot cannot be practically used for fliers as they would have to walk with their luggage well over a mile to the "new" terminal building in the SoCal heat with no direct sidewalk access.

Kinda neat to see the old "outdoor" baggage claim areas still there but silent. Also the walls of the baggage claim areas still have old rental car/hotel message boards and courtesy phones sitting there with 16 year old logos. Best Western's is my favorite. One stil mentions how the hotel features "color tv".

Glad he found a place to park.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in the Hollywood Hills and I hear people up here constantly complaining that cars are parked on the streets while people go out of town and nothing is done with them. People go on vacation, stick their car on the street in the hills and come get it when they're back.

A lot of people in the hills (especially the Laurel Canyon area) park on the street and there's absolutely zero enforcement with respect to time limits, overnight parking, permit parking, etc. My neighbor leased a car, stuck it on the street down the block, put a car cover on it and left it while he was on vacation. That was nearly 2 months ago. He gets back in a few weeks. Car's still there.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike_k
I live in the Hollywood Hills and I hear people up here constantly complaining that cars are parked on the streets while people go out of town and nothing is done with them. People go on vacation, stick their car on the street in the hills and come get it when they're back.

A lot of people in the hills (especially the Laurel Canyon area) park on the street and there's absolutely zero enforcement with respect to time limits, overnight parking, permit parking, etc. My neighbor leased a car, stuck it on the street down the block, put a car cover on it and left it while he was on vacation. That was nearly 2 months ago. He gets back in a few weeks. Car's still there.
So you're suggesting he park in the Laurel Canyon area? Thanks! I'll tell him! kidding.

Unbelievable. Those roads are so tightly curvy and packed with cars, it would totally ruin having to live there for me, not to mention that half the people can't parallel park worth a crap so they're all haphazardly sticking out. He parks in the more downtown (for lack of a better term) parts and gets tickets regularly and even has been towed three times (in ten years or so).

Interesting comment, Mike. Thanks.
-Tom
Old 07-29-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How much more inventive than free parking in a higher class area are you looking for? Are you looking for a valet that will arrive at the house with white gloves and a trailer and pay your friend to watch his cars for awhile?

I don't think that was a completely ridiculous solution especially considering that enough people do it that it's complained about.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As Lorde Says, "We're on Each Others' Team"...

Originally Posted by Mike_k
How much more inventive than free parking in a higher class area are you looking for? Are you looking for a valet that will arrive at the house with white gloves and a trailer and pay your friend to watch his cars for awhile?

I don't think that was a completely ridiculous solution especially considering that enough people do it that it's complained about.
Sorry, I took your comment as a complaint against all the street-parkers in the area, not as a real suggestion.
But yeah, I suggested he post to every forumhe's on (Porsche X3, Alfa X2. and various other deviants), that he might rent the to other enthusiasts who would otherwise need to rent a car while in LA. There are a lot of people on the internet, you know!
Thanks for the suggestion, in any case. Sorry to offend with the sarcasm - I thought you were just venting!
-Tom

Quick Reply: Any Inventive Solutions for Parking 4 Cars in LA, CA for a Month?