A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to join the club

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to join the club

Have long been a fan of the A8, and always viewed it as my "next car" until about 9 months ago when I read about the A7. Headed to the local dealer last week to look into ordering one, but was dismayed at some of the options (or really lack there of), namely an 8-cyl engine and 5 passenger seating, so I passed.

I drove an 11 A8, but didnt like the outside as much as the D3's and as a guy who believes in used cars, hard to rationalize a $90k sticker when low mileage 08's trade in the low 40's. As I was heading out of the dealer, I spotted a handful of them on the lot, headed back in. Long story short, I test drove a black 08, sent my wife in that afternoon for a test drive, and have sent the last few days scouring this forum. Yesterday, I took it for a 24 hour test drive and threw a deposit down last night. Absolutely fell in love with the car!

Anyway, a few simple questions for anyone who will indulge me

1. Is the Audi care (pre-paid regular maintenance worth it)? Will dealers negotiate on price (this was 750 and included the next two scheduled maintenance visits - 45k and 65k IIRC)

2. This vehicle is CPO, so extends the warranty by slightly under 3 years (10 months left on the original) - by my research on here, sounds like an extended warranty beyond 3 years would be overkill for this guy? (I typically keep cars for 6-7 years)

3. Any must have gadgets / upgrades? The Bluetooth AMI connections seems like the only thing that jumps off this forum?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Must have" options are pretty subjective. For you, Bluetooth AMI may be a deal breaker. For me, the V10, keyless go and B&O are my favorite features. FWIW, the AMI in my car is by a cable and I just bought a dedicated ipod to leave in the glovebox. I take it out on occasion to update the songs but that's it.

I think the CPO is a prudent move. These cars are expensive to repair and while I may own mine when the warranty is done I do feel better having 3 years covered to be sure the car isn't a lemon.

I passed on the Audi Care as I prefer to do my own routine maintenance. I know I care more about my car than the guy at the shop so I know I'll be more meticulous and careful. As I recall, most of what was covered by AudiCare was pretty basic DIY stuff.

Good luck with your purchase.