A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC is not working after ac vents replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC is not working after ac vents replacement

Hi all
i had a problem with the swinging mmi screen (audi a8 2006) - needed to pull the whole screen assembly out to replace a little gear on the motor.
I also had to take off 3 out of 4 AC vents. While i was waiting for a repair kit i used car daily without mmi screen assembly and 3 air vents. I now have put everything back in place - mmi screen is working, all 3 AC vents are connected but the AIr conditioner itself is not working now! Blowing warm air...
I suspect when i removed the vents - the AC could not pass self test and wrote a failure code into computer - something like that.
Do you think it can be the reason why AC is failing now?
Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cooley
I suspect when i removed the vents - the AC could not pass self test and wrote a failure code into computer - something like that.
Do you think it can be the reason why AC is failing now?
Thanks!
Firstly when ever you talk codes is a good ideas to confirm with VAG, if you have which I suspect you dont, I would recommend finding someone who does. Test then, put post here from relevent modules.
Put a request out for VAG here, someone close will oblige for a few beers i'm sure! There are too many computers and modules to make a guess, unless there is a known fault/failure, even then one should VAG to make sure anyway.

I've removed my vents to replace with aluminium ones and can't see any wires deemed important enough to shut controller down.
As theres 4 wires, 2 for the light and 2 for the open/close sensor(note the rear vent is manual close, the front vent is a geared sensor which powers a motor that opens/closes vent).

As this sensor operates vent motor which simply determines air flow not air temperature(i.e. if you close vents the air temperature to a certain degree is the same whether open or close, just being redirected)I find it unlikely this would cause the controller to shut down the compressor.
Again were assuming the compressor is not kicking in. Could be gas, could be faulty wiring.

1st step VAG and post report on module here. Await response, possible help.
2nd step take to Air con guy, might be able to fault find quickly/cheaply? fuses, clutches/compressors/gas??
3rd and worst............AUDI!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hi- looking for the A8 vents( metal ornament )front or rear! do you have any?

what I need is the metal center ornament - its 3/4" 1/8" only that!
it was missing when boght and dealer did not want to buy a new one1

thanks 732 477 1223

David
Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by D@vid
what I need is the metal center ornament - its 3/4" 1/8" only that!
it was missing when boght and dealer did not want to buy a new one1

thanks 732 477 1223

David
nah - I don't have any. My air suspension failed yesterday. I ended up surrendering to audi. $3900 bill for the AC and air suspension. They said it turned out to be a high pressure sensor somewhere.
They loaned me a 2014 A8 - an unreal car.