A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8 Exhaust Options

Hello, I know I'm getting annoying now but I'm trying to finalize a few items before pulling the trigger on an A8.

I've been doing searches for aftermarket exhaust options. I'd be looking for something along the lines of "sport", slip on / cat back. Nothing too agressive (or expensive). Coming from an M3 I'm concerned I'll be a bit bored with the A8 sound, and want to make sure I have some options that aren't too expensive...

I know there is Militek for the S8, but I dont see anything on their website for the A8?

Thanks...

Mike
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A42B
Hello, I know I'm getting annoying now but I'm trying to finalize a few items before pulling the trigger on an A8.

I've been doing searches for aftermarket exhaust options. I'd be looking for something along the lines of "sport", slip on / cat back. Nothing too agressive (or expensive). Coming from an M3 I'm concerned I'll be a bit bored with the A8 sound, and want to make sure I have some options that aren't too expensive...

I know there is Militek for the S8, but I dont see anything on their website for the A8?

Thanks...

Mike
Main difference fitting A8 or S8 exhausts is the number of tailpipes. If you do not want to change your rear valance/bumper then maybe you should look Remus exhausts. Otherways almost all other producers are offering S8 looking exhausts with quad tailpipes.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a decent engine instead of an exhaust.

The V10 or W12 won't let you down on that one, even with the factory exhaust.

Personally i think it's destroying a car by modifying it for sound, i have a 450hp turbo-volvo that sounds entirely stock, tough it has a 3" pipe from the turbo onwards, but correctly designed.

I just get annoyed when someone comes with a sound of a 8L engine with a 1,4L rice-pouch under their hood and the performance of a moped.

Just my opinions, take into account that many people get annoyed by overwhelming noise in the traffic.

I think it's a lot of money to put 4-5000euros/dollars on a exhaust system that doesn't do anything for looks or performance... and so did all my friends think too when i asked their opinion, out of 10people nobody thought it was useful to "upgrade" if the stock system isn't rusty (atleast mine is stainless form the factory, and i think all of A8:s are).
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NorthA8
Main difference fitting A8 or S8 exhausts is the number of tailpipes. If you do not want to change your rear valance/bumper then maybe you should look Remus exhausts. Otherways almost all other producers are offering S8 looking exhausts with quad tailpipes.
Ok, thanks good info. I'll check out some remus options.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

labree motorsports here in los angeles did a great job on my a8 looks good. got 10-12 more horsepower and it sounds just right. here is a link to sound which is the same engine as we have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzEsVGMf-zM

cost around 1100

i have a pic in my garage of what it looks like
Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

As a contrast to your opinion I was utterly disappointed by the sound of the S8 after spending some time in a S63 Benz. And the W12 is even more balanced/civilized.

I agree though that it should not be overdone, esp on this kind of car it will be ridiculous to have it roar like some american muscle car.

Anyway to each his own...

I put a Remus can on my old D2 and it gave a nice note. Nothing spectacular, just a bit of rumble. Haven´t researched the D3 options but you can prob find something from the famous brands like ABT, Supersprint, Milltek etc etc but it´s gonna cost you an arm and a leg so might as well look into some custom solution if you have a local shop.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hilden
As a contrast to your opinion I was utterly disappointed by the sound of the S8 after spending some time in a S63 Benz. And the W12 is even more balanced/civilized.
Coming from an M3 with an Eisenmann exhaust, I was let down by the S8 as well. It was a bit underhelming, even when letting it rip. I mean, it sounded great, but nothing like an M5 or E63. Would I like an S over an A8 - all day - but not at a $12k price difference in the 2008 used market.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 595 Likes on 499 Posts
Default Um...not exactly...

S8's and W12's start at 4 pipes off the manifolds, and then run through four separate converters. That means you also have 8 (!) O2 sensors, four pre cats and 4 post cats. After the converters the 4 pipes merge via two reverse Y type intersections into the two main pipes and quickly enter the front resonators--and that is all one part (at least on the W12s) where the merging happens and on through the front resonators. Pipe diameters remain larger throughout as well. It's a pretty serious flow set up toward the front actually.

Thus, figure W12's and S8's can cross, through you have to add or subtract the 5 inch "L" stretch into the central tubing. Covert W12 actually fit the S8 MTM exhaust he picked up used to a W12--and loved it. Posts are in the archives. But, if you mean the whole cat back S8 set up into a 4.2, good luck up there in the front area behind the cats and in front of the resonators--the first part of "cat back" ... In the rear cans, thats probably a more straight forward bigger pipe conversion, but then true OEM S8 (and W12) will have the exhaust valving stock (controlled by the ECU) to sort through those choices too (delete or not, hold open, etc.).

Net, I think 4.2 fitments for full cat back are the place to stay if you are with a 4.2. They are priced less most likely anyway--higher (but low) volume, no cross over to Bentleys like us W12'ers have to live with for the pricing, etc.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-22-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are not trying to replace whole cat-back but only rear mufflers, then you dont have the subtracting or adding problems with central tubings. Exhaust valving for back boxes are controlled by vacuum and most of the guys who have ever did the conversion just left the valves in open position. Fitment is pretty easy for only last part of the exhaust. (Note - bumper needs to be cut differently or replaced with the S one too. My car has S5 mufflers for example.
But if you do not wish to change the bumper, Remus has less than $1000 offer fo that http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/prod...spx?gfid=c1140

Audi has done an excellent job with the performance of the Audi S8 exhaust systems. However the sound of the engine is too tame for most enthusiast minded owners.
Here is one of possible solutions for that, X-pipe http://gmgracing.com/images/images/gmgwcs81.jpg

http://gmgracing.com/images/audi_exhaust_gmg_wcs8.shtml
Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor

Default REMUS USA Response

A8 Enthusists: We are back in stock of our popular "Sports Label" for the D3 / 4E Chassis A8. Sorry for the delays around getting these back in stock. Sea Freight can sometimes be problematic (to use a polite term...) when anticipating our products from Austria. If you'd like more info' on these, please PM me. Thanks.

Last edited by REMUS4myAudi; 05-03-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: A8 Exhaust Options