A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Well, you could buy the shaft and pull the plug out as it appears to be threaded for pressing and pulling, BUT then you would have the same problem of pressing it back in just like the brass plug that I suggested, maybe a mini impact nailer would fit back there, 3.5 inches, not sure of the room on the V8 as I went to the W12 four plus years ago and have forgotten, BUT of more importance be sure to get a high pressure neoprene plug, as most I see online are only rated at 25 foot of head, 25 FOH = 10.838 PSI, the working pressure of the V8 is between 40-75 PSI, also I am not sure on the size, 1/4", 3/8" ETC. but here are some 3/8" plugs rated at 185 PSI in the links.
428 FOH/185 PSI rated

Hand Tightening Aluminum Single Test Plugs With By-Pass - Petersen Products Company

https://www.grainger.com/product/5NR...=AZIDPBR_56173

25 FOH/10.838 PSI rated

https://www.grainger.com/product/SHA...xpansion-6VFR1

https://www.grainger.com/product/SHA...xpansion-6VFV3

YOU ARE THE MAN! I've been looking for the source and solution to this problem for months now. Even googling 3/8 inch expansion plugs all day has yielded no results. Those links are invaluable, thank you so much!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Yllier
There isn't much room to swing a mallet back there without taking the head off so a brass plug doesn't seem to be the best bet.
Metal plugs are normally cooled in liquid nitrogen and then installed (no tapping required, it will slide into place) but you can just as easily leave them in $5 worth of dry-ice pellets for a few minutes or a few hours in your kitchen freezer to shrink fit.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Try to modify one of these with flange bolt?
https://www.grainger.com/product/SHAW-PLUGS-3-8-Thumb-Nut-Mechanical-Expansion-6VFV5?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6VFV3_AS03?$smthumb$

Cheers,
Louis
Old 08-22-2016, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT,

Thanks for the info, pulling the heads may not be a fun job, Anyone have an estimate of how much time hassle this maybe? I assume intake manifold , exhaust , valvecovers need to come off before removing the cylinder heads. I also need to first determine the culprit which maybe the very well designed PCV valve ( Oil seperator) I seem to keep hearing about.

The forum has been a great help i just may have rushed into the purchase of this vehicle. I may still fair ok need to look at what the overall damage is as I still have timing belt, valve cover gaskets, radiator, pulleys etc.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kishoreh
Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT,

Thanks for the info, pulling the heads may not be a fun job, Anyone have an estimate of how much time hassle this maybe? I assume intake manifold , exhaust , valvecovers need to come off before removing the cylinder heads. I also need to first determine the culprit which maybe the very well designed PCV valve ( Oil seperator) I seem to keep hearing about.

The forum has been a great help i just may have rushed into the purchase of this vehicle. I may still fair ok need to look at what the overall damage is as I still have timing belt, valve cover gaskets, radiator, pulleys etc.
According to AllData its a 31 hour job for a skilled mechanic with readily available tools to replace the Rocker Arm.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jandreas
Metal plugs are normally cooled in liquid nitrogen and then installed (no tapping required, it will slide into place) but you can just as easily leave them in $5 worth of dry-ice pellets for a few minutes or a few hours in your kitchen freezer to shrink fit.
Hello Jandreas,

I see that you also found that it was your plug missing and not the o-ring on the rocker shaft causing the leak on your vehicle back in January of 2014, would you kindly share how you went about re-installing the plug with the others whom are have the same problem, and if said plug stayed put after being reused, did it go in by hand after time in the freezer, also where did you find the plug, in the belly pan, maybe the others should search for their plugs also, it's worth a shot.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-ring-2859692/

Old 08-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took a little time to look at the bentley manual and part of the removal process of the roller rocker lever / shaft is to use a threaded m6 bolt for removal from the cylinder head.

I am thinking replace the PCV Valve (oil Seperator) and maybe a specialty bolt vendor may have an M6 bolt with very short thread length but slightly wider bolt head and use the silicone sealant used for the valve cover gasket to seal the bolt and test for leaks.

I am not sure of the thread depth.

May save 25 hours of work as a test.

Last edited by kishoreh; 08-22-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I took a little time to look at the bentley manual and part of the removal process of the roller rocker lever / shaft is to use a threaded m6 bolt for removal from the cylinder head.

I am thinking replace the PCV Valve (oil Seperator) and maybe a specialty bolt vendor may have an M6 bolt with very short thread length but slightly wider bolt head and use the silicone sealant used for the valve cover gasket to seal the bolt and test for leaks.

I am not sure of the thread depth.

May save 25 hours of work as a test.

I am not sure, but I think you have misunderstood what the "M6 Bolt" is for, the M6 bolt threads into the plug that is pressed into the rocker shaft, the plug has no threads on the outside it is smooth to slide into the shaft, the threaded section of the plug is inner section of the plug, being that your plug is missing, that is correct, right, then there are no threads to screw the M6 bolt into, nor would you need to as then your plug would be in place, and on top of that a M6 is way smaller then the outer diameter of the plug..

The M6 bolt is used as a tool to pull the entire rocker shaft out of the head, which you DO NOT want to do because all of the valve rockers on that shaft would fall out of place when the shaft is pulled.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If that is the case then need to look at another option as a test once I replace the PCV Valve. This not my primary car so not stressed about the time line to fix.

Just looked at the parts list I got a quote on looks like about $1400 to do this correctly and that does not include the PCV Valve another $110 and that does not include all the maintenance I need to do, not looking forward to this. May need to look at finding a reputable Audi machine shop to rebuild the heads.

077109371D ROCKER SHAFT 2
077109372D ROCKER SHAFT 2
077133287A WASHER 2
077133287B WASHER 2
N10196103 FT IMPACT SENSOR BOLT 4
077103383BS HEAD GASKET 1
077103383BT HEAD GASKET 1
077103385D SCREW 20
077198025A GASKET 2
077129717Q MANIFOLD GASKET 2
Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If that is the case then need to look at another option as a test once I replace the PCV Valve. This not my primary car so not stressed about the time line to fix.

Just looked at the parts list I got a quote on looks like about $1400 to do this correctly and that does not include the PCV Valve another $110 and that does not include all the maintenance I need to do, not looking forward to this. May need to look at finding a reputable Audi machine shop to rebuild the heads.

077109371D ROCKER SHAFT 2
077109372D ROCKER SHAFT 2
077133287A WASHER 2
077133287B WASHER 2
N10196103 FT IMPACT SENSOR BOLT 4
077103383BS HEAD GASKET 1
077103383BT HEAD GASKET 1
077103385D SCREW 20
077198025A GASKET 2
077129717Q MANIFOLD GASKET 2
Hello Kishoreh,

Is there something you are not telling us, as I am very confused at how you go from replacing a few dollar missing plug, to over $1400 in parts, to having the heads rebuilt, the plug is gone, correct, the PCV valve did not cause this plug to blow out, this plug resides in the hollow rocker shaft, this hollow or otherwise known as oil gallery is pressurized by the oil pump to lubricate the rocker shaft itself along with the rockers and also supplies oil to the spray jets to oil the rollers that ride the cam, the working oil pressure of the engine is anywhere between 15PSI at idle to 75PSI at high RPM, I am sure if the PCV valve was bad and ever produced that kind of pressure that the PCV system plastic hoses would be popping off or bursting, the plug simply let loose of its seat, it is not the first time a VW oil gallery plug has dislodged, see link, SO, you could buy the rocker shaft at $227 +/- and pull the plug out of it, then freeze it to reinsert as Jandreas has stated, OR you could find the diameter of the hole and get a plug to fit.

PD Rocker Arms - missing oil gallery plugs !! Check yours !! - TDIClub Forums

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 08-23-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.