A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A8L headlamps covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlamp restoration / detailing

I've been looking at a company called chemical guys, they're detailing freaks!!!

they have a metric ton of youtube videos on detailing, including headlight restoration they also sell some pretty heavy duty sealants. which i seem to remember seeing used on headlights on one their videos.

I have not yet tried their products, so I cant attest to the quality, even though I did make it to their showroom, but couldn't decide on what to buy, they sell like 3 or 4 different options for every product they sell.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Plastic headlight lenses can be restored and UV protected. As others have noted, wet sanding, machine polishing and the most important part "re-sealing" is necessary, else they will discolor and haze in no time. However, done properly they will looks as new!

I am aware of 2 quality sealants. I've used the Sylvania Kit with good success and is reasonably priced $20 solution. A more robust sealant that i haven't tired is by Optimium at $60, the company has a great reputation for quality paint sealants.

Either way, far less that replacing a full assembly.

Here's are some links:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Optim...ing_p_911.html

Amazon.com: Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit: Automotive

Good luck!

Last edited by Galco; 09-03-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
I did not, and yes they are getting a bit yellow again. 3M film is recommended, this was mentioned to me immediately after I refinished them. 1year 6 months later and they are sightly yellowed but nothing terrible.
Follow the instructions on a can of Bulldog Adhesion promotor and then spray them with a clear coat containing UV stabilizers/absorbers. Most local autobody supply stores will mix up a spray can of 2-part (2K) uv-resistant clear coat for you. That will have a lot better wear resistance than any of the normal spray can clear coats that you can buy from a hardware store. Ideally you'd want something like SilFORT AS4000 but that requires an oven bake and an air compressor to spray it.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Take the headlights off the car, use an orbital polisher to lightly sand it down, then buff polish them. I would then seal them with what others recommended. What others haven't brought up is the headlight film. Put on a clear film, like window tint over the headlight and it should work perfect. Many use the film to blue, black or yellow out their headlights. Just get a clear film and it should be UV resistant and work like a charm

Xpel:
https://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp

Or Laminx
Headlight Covers, Headlight Film, Headlight Film Cover | Lamin-x
Old 09-04-2014, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a link to total headlight restoration with pics and instructions. Not for the driveway DIYer but if you have access to the tools and handy with a paint sprayer, looks like a good way to go.

Restoring Headlights to Like New Condition - No kit allowed - Club Lexus Forums
Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default headlight issues?

So you all are OK with the fact that you bought an $85,000 car with the same headlight covers as a Chevy cavalier. . . While you sit on a stool & scrape away at plastic with your various grades of some substance I will be bitching to audi. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by N2AK
So you all are OK with the fact that you bought an $85,000 car with the same headlight covers as a Chevy cavalier. . . While you sit on a stool & scrape away at plastic with your various grades of some substance I will be bitching to audi. I'll let you know how it goes.
Well, I bought $100K car for $25K four years ago and she is still running strong and shiny. What exactly should I start bitching about?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

The Ford ones go bad in four years when always outdoors, Chevy ones in six. Audi's take over ten years go to pot.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 3m Headlamp Restoration Kit did the trick.

Originally Posted by hunterp27
W12inSpain,

Post a pic of yours and I can tell ya whether they can be brought back to life with a headlight restoration kit. I reworked a pair of BMW e39 M5 headlights that were pretty beat up. It just takes some patience and work for very little cost.

Hunter
Just wanted to do a follow up. I bought the 3M Headlamp restoration kit from Amazon UK. Worked great.

Wet sanded then polished. Took all the crap & bits off. I did fail the first time with a cordless drill. Not enough power. Switched to a corded high speed drill.

Next the 3M sealant.

A couple of before and after photos to show you how bad they were before and the results after. Took 1/2 hour start to finish.

Thank you so very kindly for all the terrific advise.

Kind regards from Espana.

Richard.
Attached Images     
Old 09-13-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When i had the headlights redone on my 911, I had the body shop re-shoot them with clearcoat.

Quick Reply: 2006 A8L headlamps covers