A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A8 battery dead, trunk won't open!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A8 battery dead, trunk won't open!!!

i have a 2006 audi A8 L, and the battery is dead and the trunk wont open. is there any other jump terminals thats not in the trunk. or is there another way to get into the trunk. please help
Old 10-02-2018, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you use the key to open it?
Old 10-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no. the keys doesn't work if the car battery is dead
Old 10-02-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

No, use the actual flip out key in the trunk lid lock. Look up underneath where the trunk release button is. There is a key hole slot for manual override.

Same thing under the drivers door handle when you pull it out.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
No, use the actual flip out key in the trunk lid lock. Look up underneath where the trunk release button is. There is a key hole slot for manual override.

Same thing under the drivers door handle when you pull it out.
yea. i already tried it.multiple times
Old 10-02-2018, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dienamic410
I've never had to try this, but it may work. Connect to a 12V charger to supply enough current to get the key out and the trunk opened.
Cheers and good luck,
Louis
Old 10-02-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by dienamic410
The key override mechanism absolutely does not need electrical power to work. It’s entirely mechanical for exactly this reason. You either have a mechanical failure with the lock mechanism, or you’re doing something wrong.

If this is truly the case and it’s failed, then do as suggested. Connect up a battery charger to a cigarette lighter socket and see if that gets you enough power or battery charge to get the locks functioning again.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Car can be jumped from here

Positive jump terminal is located in front passenger footwell kick panel, remove trim, pull back carpet and lift black plastic cover . Attach positive terminal and use a body point as the ground(neg) terminal. Pictures below.

Last edited by the green amigo; 10-27-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The following users liked this post:
AEightSilver (01-20-2021)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave

The key override mechanism absolutely does not need electrical power to work. It’s entirely mechanical for exactly this reason. You either have a mechanical failure with the lock mechanism, or you’re doing something wrong.

If this is truly the case and it’s failed, then do as suggested. Connect up a battery charger to a cigarette lighter socket and see if that gets you enough power or battery charge to get the locks functioning again.

This is a good method, however if the cigarette lighter socket charging method doesn't work, my best suggestion is the following, which I learned from locking my keys in my trunk and having my spare 8+ hours driving distance away. Get a police unit to use their "airbag" method for wedging the door and pulling the door handle, if this doesn't work resort to simply breaking a window (I expressed this to the officer, and he said if we can't successfully open the door with the above said method, that I am free to do whatever I want, as I proved it was my car). Thankfully we got the door open with the "airbag" method. Once you have gained access to the compartment, you may try the trunk release button (unsuccessfully I may admit, damn Audi engineers being too throughout and thinking about possible theft after breaking a window). However in this moment of anger I realized that the trunk is linked to the compartment via a ski pass, and the trunk possess a "kidnap" release switch. Just a quick background, I previously have owned a 2001 740iL which had a ski pass and zipper present on said ski pass for whatever reasons (gives you access to the extended trunk, and subsequent trunk), I hoped this zipper was just a standard Germany oddity; to my dismay the D3s ski pass does not possess said zipper. At this point I was quite livid, so I looked at the officer and asked: "do you have a knife". He hesitantly said yes and handed me said knife. I then proceeded, with much shock to the officer, to completely cut the perimeter of the ski bag. This gave us enough access to use his "door pulling" rod to trigger the emergency "kidnapping" trunk release. The positive aspect of this experience is that I was able to get to my trunk and subsequently my keys without breaking a window, while sacrificing the ski pass bag, while also giving passing students a good laugh (one student stopped and stated: "you never see this", to the officers and my confusion he them replied: "a police officer breaking into a car", not going to lie, I slightly laughed). The only negative aspect of the experience is that upon opening the trunk I soon released that the keys were in reaching distance, if I would have simply made a small slit into the top of the ski bag . However, I must add that the location was being obscured by a 40 + lb, 5 foot long, 2 foot wide, research platform that was to go into the Gulf of Mexico just a few days following. From here on out, I expect to be called the D3 MacGyver.

Last edited by jlbell; 10-27-2018 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Super secret and important information

Quick Reply: 2006 A8 battery dead, trunk won't open!!!