A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Audi A8L Steering Wheel removal + install(with paddle shifters) + introduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Mishar, about yours only working in tip, it may be a setting,the other night I was playing with the Ross-Tech and found a setting for tiptronic buttons or was it tiptronic levers, but any way it was set to off, so I set it to on and guess what, they only worked in tiptronic, so I put it back to off and they are back to working in drive,sport and tip..
Thank you. Great tip! You made my day.

Now if anybody can explain the logic behind this, except that it is German logic.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you notice how the airbag is attached to the cover? I was thinking if possible to switch the cover to avoid having to buy a new bag when getting a diff color SW, but not sure if they are molded together somehow.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcole21
Hey guys!

Been lurking for a bit - bought my '04 A8 earlier this year and love it. Shopped for a while and and found one in good shape with great history, and very glad to be here.

I bought this bad boy (attached) a week or two ago, and was excited when it arrived. Installed this weekend easy as pie, but wanted to put down a walkthrough for this project for anyone looking to do something similar to an A8 (saw walkthroughs for other models).

Shout out to awdinut for his post on doing the same.

STEERING WHEEL WALKTHROUGH (pics to follow at some point - I took a few but it's way easy):
1) The airbag is screwed in with two screws on either side of the wheel - turn the wheel to the right angle to access these from the bottom (T20 screwdriver), then turn ~180 degrees to do the same on the other side. Don't worry about pulling the screws out (although I did - also you don't need to take anything off of the steering column, another thing I worried about but didn't need to).
2) Undo a battery terminal (I did + due to easier access), and put something between the terminal post and the cord.
3) Remove airbag gently undoing clips (my original had 3, last one for the heated steering wheel that doesn't pull out and stays in the old wheel).
4) T55 socket to remove the center 'screw' holding the wheel to the column (don't worry about marking the wheel spoke you're on - it only fits on one way, the right way).
5) Remove and reverse.

My current wheel has the paddle shifters which don't work now and need to be programmed. My local dealer estimated $1800 for this job - it took me 1 hr of actual work. I'll try and have them change the setting cheaply when I'm in for the 75K in the next couple of months.

Love the forum, and once again, glad to be here.
hi jcole sorry for bringing up an old post but just wanted to ask about the voice command buttons and scroll buttons on the steering wheel. what i wanted to know was are they easy to remove?

as im wanting to get my steering wheel wrapped in alcantara so want a flush fit all around the spokes as well instead of just having the "diameter" done.

btw thanks for the instructions will come in handy
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is very easy to remove them. Just remove that chrome ring and they are free. Be careful with harnesses. It is easy to damage one on the right switch.

Last edited by mishar; 02-06-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
It is very easy to remove them. Just remove that chrome ring and they are free. Be careful with harnesses. It is easy to damage one on the left switch.
thanks mishar much appreciated
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

When I said left switch I meant right switch.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
When I said left switch I meant right switch.
haha no worries ill figure it out