A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 a8 rattle on startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 a8 rattle on startup

Hi, I have a 2004 Audi a8l with a 4.2L V8 with only 60k miles on it. I had just gotten the car and had done the valve cover gaskets for an oil leak that was 700$ to do. My problem is that when I start the car up in the day to day using it I hear a small rattle for like 0.3 seconds and its gone. But if I leave the car sit for 2 days over the weekend I hear what I believe is the cam tentioners rattle on startup for like 3 seconds and it sounds exactly like the YouTube (good vs bad) comparisons. My question is is this a big problem I have or is it starting to become one, Because its not like its doing bad rattling on day to day use but more of a sitting around use on the weekend. I KNOW that this would be a VERY VERY expensive fix and I'm trying to see what people know about it to help me out.
I read from someone who claimed this "Timing chain rattle for the first few seconds is NORMAL on these cars since the tensioners rely on oil pressure instead of spring tension, and it takes a few seconds for the oil pressure to rise enough to tension the chains."
Is this true and am I worried about nothing? Please help
Old 04-22-2024, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Try some Riselone or similar oil solvent treatment just before next oil change. The kind you pour in, idle 20 minutes and then drain. Can help clean up varnish, lifters, etc.

Besides the cam adjuster set up, in the center valley area are also one way check valves that help keep oil in upper engine area post shut down. Seldom mentioned or commented on. If dirty or worn, could also be a contributor. Again, oil solvent flush is easiest and low cost early idea.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-22-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

+1
As you just got it, there’s no telling what spec oil it currently has in it which may be part of the problem.

Either way not a big deal and some oil flush before your next oil change will probably sort it out, and make sure you put correct spec oil in. Something 5w30 that meets VW 504 00, or VW 507 00 spec. Plenty of options out there.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Immortalfour
Hi, I have a 2004 Audi a8l with a 4.2L V8 with only 60k miles on it. I had just gotten the car and had done the valve cover gaskets for an oil leak that was 700$ to do. My problem is that when I start the car up in the day to day using it I hear a small rattle for like 0.3 seconds and its gone. But if I leave the car sit for 2 days over the weekend I hear what I believe is the cam tentioners rattle on startup for like 3 seconds and it sounds exactly like the YouTube (good vs bad) comparisons. My question is is this a big problem I have or is it starting to become one, Because its not like its doing bad rattling on day to day use but more of a sitting around use on the weekend. I KNOW that this would be a VERY VERY expensive fix and I'm trying to see what people know about it to help me out.
I read from someone who claimed this "Timing chain rattle for the first few seconds is NORMAL on these cars since the tensioners rely on oil pressure instead of spring tension, and it takes a few seconds for the oil pressure to rise enough to tension the chains."
Is this true and am I worried about nothing? Please help
not expensive at all its easy on bank two since the cam adjuster is in the front but on bank one the adjuster is in the back but its all easy and fairly cheap depending on which adjuster you buy most of the time its not the adjuster its just the pads on the adjuster that need replaced i thought but i was wrong my spark plug was loose to where i hear the pistons. But you can just replace the pads for the adjusters if needed only takes a matter of 2 hours at least thats how long it took me, but it is fairly easy to do yourself if interested send me a message i can send you the repair manual to do it step by step.