A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 problems - need help: NAV unit and headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:47 AM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 problems - need help: NAV unit and headlight issue

My '07 A8 is acting up.

Yesterday I noticed a ticking sound, tick..tick....tick..tick the sound which was coming from right behind the rear seat, under the rear speaker area. The navigation also wouldnt work, I would try and set it, and then it would reset back to where I started every time the ticking started.

I checked my navigation dvd, and it wouldnt eject the disk either. It seems stuck. And it seems to be resetting. I was told that the cd was probably factory locked (any truth?)

I did the MMI reset, no help.

Can I try and reset it, or remove the disk and try and re-engage the system? Or am I done and need a new nav unit?

I tried removing fuses from next to the rear panel where this stuff is but it didnt work.

Is there a way to force the disk from the unit? Is the unit easy to remove?

Second issue:

A few days ago, I started having a problem with my headlights.

When the car starts, everything is fine, the 'day' lights work just fine. But when I turn the headlights on, the front right 'day' lamp (the normal looking bulb) turns off and the car gives me a headlight warning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Random thoughts...

You might see if your console MMI buttons are simply dirty. That clicking noise could be the unit cycling off and on. Try using the edge of a business card and maybe a bit of rubbing alcohol (or electronic contact cleaner) on them. But do NOT let liquid get down into them. If the buttons are sticking it will do this rapid off on cycling, and simply resetting the unit won't overcome it.

Lights--not enough to go on, but my first guesses would be either failing bulb or a problem w/ the relay/light control module, or maybe the switch.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The navigation DVDs are "locked" by default, supposedly to stop people nicking them from the cars in the showrooms. You should be able to get your Audi dealer to unlock it, they just connect it to the computer and change a setting.

Regards,
Karl

Originally Posted by idf
My '07 A8 is acting up.

I checked my navigation dvd, and it wouldnt eject the disk either. It seems stuck. And it seems to be resetting. I was told that the cd was probably factory locked (any truth?)
Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Funny, I'm seeing pretty much exactly the same behaviour with the daylight bulb on my 05 D3. Sometimes the bulb fails (ie it doesn't light) and the warning display on the info display showss a bulb out. Sometimes, it works OK and sometimes it works, then stops working when the dipped beam comes on (by Auto setting).

The problem is, I don't think it's possible to get to the bulb without taking the front end of the car apart

Ewan