A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 S8 test drive impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 S8 test drive impressions

So I was killing some time over the weekend. Found an '07 S8 on a used car lot and I was fortunate enough to be allowed to take it out for a test drive......... alone. First and foremost, I must mention that at this time I am NOT an S8/A8 owner.......... yet.

After walking around inspecting the car, I get the keys handed to me and I sit in the car. Wow. The first thing that hits me is the incredibly balanced atmopshere of the interior. Not too much and yet just enough pop for my tastes. Just a step up on the A8's I've been looking at and enough to make it special. It has that B&O sound system that cosmetically really sets off the interior as well. i'm 6'5" and I fit VERY comfortably in this car. Oh yeah. First impression is a LIKE it.

I put the key in the arm rest tray and hit the start button. Hmmmmmm. Doesn't sound very special. Hmmmmmm. A bit of a let down. Anyways, head on out on the road. Solid heavy feel. Quiet too. Nice but still not feeling that special-ness I was expecting. Mind you I am ONLY crusiing.

Anyways, my time was limited so I find somewhere where I can push the throttle down a bit. HELLO. There she is !!! Ok then. Roll down all those windows. HELLO, that's the sound I'm talkin about!!! Ok, back down to being responsible. The demon is there under the skin. Hell yeah.

Of all the sedans I have ever driven, this to me, is the best of the best when taken as a whole. It's understated in the right ways with a timeless classy-ness to it. You can cruise comfortably and yet when you need to unleash hell, it's available. The interior is really well executed as well. The S8 interiors I've seen so far and the best of the best of the Audi 8's. There are more expensive and more powerful sedans available for sure, but for me, this makes a nice balance and really is all I think is necessary for a sedan. better then anything I've seen/driven from all the other manufacturers, including the BMW M5 (7-series is just garbage). The Porsche is just too damn ugly for me to even want to sit in it. The benz S-class is too old man styling and rock hard inside. The Maseratti troublesome (but sounds awesome opened up). Mind you, I haven't had the RS6 pleasure yet. Hmmmmm. Where's that bucket list.

Back to reality, the cost of fuel and maintenance is concerning. Then again, if you buy one of these, I guess that's usually not on your checklist of concerns. Unfortuantely for me, I'd need another job or sponsorship from a gas company as I don't understand how anyone could drive this car quietly ........ EVER !!! Nice car and I'm jealous of those of you that have the priviledge of owning such a fine machine. For me, a well used REGULAR A8 is likely as far as I will get. But I will always remember this S8 experience.

Cheers,

Last edited by Tominizer; 11-01-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tominizer
So I was killing some time over the weekend. Found an '07 S8 on a used car lot and I was fortunate enough to be allowed to take it out for a test drive......... alone. First and foremost, I must mention that at this time I am NOT an S8/A8 owner.......... yet.

After walking around inspecting the car, I get the keys handed to me and I sit in the car. Wow. The first thing that hits me is the incredibly balanced atmopshere of the interior. Not too much and yet just enough pop for my tastes. Just a step up on the A8's I've been looking at and enough to make it special. It has that B&O sound system that cosmetically really sets off the interior as well. i'm 6'5" and I fit VERY comfortably in this car. Oh yeah. First impression is a LIKE it.

I put the key in the arm rest tray and hit the start button. Hmmmmmm. Doesn't sound very special. Hmmmmmm. A bit of a let down. Anyways, head on out on the road. Solid heavy feel. Quiet too. Nice but still not feeling that special-ness I was expecting. Mind you I am ONLY crusiing.

Anyways, my time was limited so I find somewhere where I can push the throttle down a bit. HELLO. There she is !!! Ok then. Roll down all those windows. HELLO, that's the sound I'm talkin about!!! Ok, back down to being responsible. The demon is there under the skin. Hell yeah.

Of all the sedans I have ever driven, this to me, is the best of the best when taken as a whole. It's understated in the right ways with a timeless classy-ness to it. You can cruise comfortably and yet when you need to unleash hell, it's available. The interior is really well executed as well. The S8 interiors I've seen so far and the best of the best of the Audi 8's. There are more expensive and more powerful sedans available for sure, but for me, this makes a nice balance and really is all I think is necessary for a sedan. better then anything I've seen/driven from all the other manufacturers, including the BMW M5 (7-series is just garbage). The Porsche is just too damn ugly for me to even want to sit in it. The benz S-class is too old man styling and rock hard inside. The Maseratti troublesome (but sounds awesome opened up). Mind you, I haven't had the RS6 pleasure yet. Hmmmmm. Where's that bucket list.

Back to reality, the cost of fuel and maintenance is concerning. Then again, if you buy one of these, I guess that's usually not on your checklist of concerns. Unfortuantely for me, I'd need another job or sponsorship from a gas company as I don't understand how anyone could drive this car quietly ........ EVER !!! Nice car and I'm jealous of those of you that have the priviledge of owning such a fine machine. For me, a well used REGULAR A8 is likely as far as I will get. But I will always remember this S8 experience.

Cheers,

Great story. Also good to hear you got to take it out ALONE! Most dealerships i've been to only let me test drive a used A8 with a sales rep in the car. I hate driving around with them as they are trying to tell me features about the car i already know about and sometimes i have to correct them!You got to be alone and in an S8 at that! I'm in the same boat as you looking for an A8. I believe the A8 will be more practical when it comes to fuel and maintenance vs an S8. The cost alone to change brakes on an S8 is astronomical from what i read!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie111
Great story. Also good to hear you got to take it out ALONE! Most dealerships i've been to only let me test drive a used A8 with a sales rep in the car. I hate driving around with them as they are trying to tell me features about the car i already know about and sometimes i have to correct them!You got to be alone and in an S8 at that! I'm in the same boat as you looking for an A8. I believe the A8 will be more practical when it comes to fuel and maintenance vs an S8. The cost alone to change brakes on an S8 is astronomical from what i read!
I absolutely love my A8. Only time I dislike driving it is in congested traffic that is moving, but plagued with cars. My meaning is the car is quite large and it is fast but it seems like a pain speeding up and slowing down so much and my fuel just zips out. That's my only gripe, but its the same with all cars. Although it wouldn't be as evident on a smaller car.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The cost alone to change brakes on an S8 is astronomical from what i read!
Not really. Actually it is same as A8.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cost alone to change brakes on an S8 is astronomical from what i read!
Ceramic yes - you could buy a small village for the cost.

As mishar said they are the same otherwise.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Carbon-ceramics last much more often as long as they aren't being used for multiple track days. They can last 150k+.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just did the rear brakes for less than $300. I used the EBC RedStuff pads ($91.75) and dimpled & slotted rotors from BrakePerformance.com ($185 for the pair). Of course the labor was mine, but I enjoy mechanical chores (on my own terms ). Used the VCDS to open, close, and re-calibrate with only a minor hitch.

Other than the VCDS, the brake job is no different than any other disc brake setup. I owe many thanks to those that have posted detailed DIY's here. The information was invaluable.

Carry on...
Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys want expensive brakes: M5. $500 per rotor. Once you feel those bad boys start to warp you simultaneously feel your wallet get lighter.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rotor

or try the Cayenne turbo at $980.00 each
Attached Images   
Old 11-02-2011, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, when the guy just offered up the keys, I kinda stared at him for a second. He looked at me and said "just go". I was sort of stumped about that. Fak, I must look really old and yet I'm only 42. I'm just barely broken in !!!

I talked to my wife about the experience afterwards. She said, and these are pretty much her words, "Yeah........ you are right. I really have no appreciation for anything you just said. Sorry. Can you pick up bread on the way home". *sigh* Around my house, I'm an island when it comes to cars.

I went from an A6 2.7t to a BMW X5 to what I drive now (don't laugh)...... a Mini Cooper Clubman S! The Mini is a riot to drive as a daily driver. but do you think I'll notice the gas mileage difference in going to an A8 ?!?!??!? LMAO.

Quick Reply: '07 S8 test drive impressions