A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warmer weather = softer suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warmer weather = softer suspension?

Not sure if this is the case but I've noticed that as things have begun to heat up here in FL that the 8L feels a little mushier - or am I just getting used to it? Seemed a lot tighter/sharper/harder when I first got it and over the winter. Possibly from lack of use as it was a low mileage car? Maybe I need to go take a ride in someone's Lincoln to regain my appreciation.

That said, I'm thinking about doing the research on replacing the suspension with S8 springs & dampers as I prefer a little stiffer feel, I dunno. Any thoughts on this?

Raz
Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Razman
Not sure if this is the case but I've noticed that as things have begun to heat up here in FL that the 8L feels a little mushier - or am I just getting used to it? Seemed a lot tighter/sharper/harder when I first got it and over the winter. Possibly from lack of use as it was a low mileage car? Maybe I need to go take a ride in someone's Lincoln to regain my appreciation.

That said, I'm thinking about doing the research on replacing the suspension with S8 springs & dampers as I prefer a little stiffer feel, I dunno. Any thoughts on this?

Raz
I have never owned a car that did not soften up in warmer weather...unless you have a car with active (constantly adjusting) suspension, it's impossible for it not to change with temperature. Cold metal is stiffer (springs) and cold oil flows faster (shocks).

OEM S8 springs/shocks is the most expensive possible route you could take, unless you find a low miles S8 part-out.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How cold does it get in Florida?
In Melbourne (Australia) our climate is very mild. Max temps in winter rarely drop below 10°C and top out in summer just above 40°C (can get into the high 40's, but its not very common). Mins overnight in winter rarely get to 0° (can on the local mountains on occasion, but generally stay positive), in summer they hang in the high teens or low 20's.

With that in mind, I generally don't notice that much of a change in suspension between summer and winter. However my last 4 cars have been lowered with very stiff suspension (S8 is softest by far since my first car!), and the roads around here aren't too flash either...

That being said, basic physics says warm springs will be softer and warm oil will be thinner, which you should be able to feel if sufficiently in tune with your car.