A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problem....help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update/Help

Hello guys, I am back with more info on my car......

I finally took out the car from my friends yard and looking forward to the transmission issues.......

I want to update on the details........

First of all, the reverse has the same symptoms as the forward gears......it will slip, rev up, and gradually build up speed. at first I felt as if reverse was working as it should.

So transmission slips both forward and reverse, then after speed builds up, it will not slip anymore. It still goes in to limp mode.

But something odd happened.........I had the car running for about 3-40 minutes to get the battery some juice, I went in to D and moved forward, and the car did not rev up, had full power on D for about 10 seconds and then back to limp mode........its maybe nothing, but made me s ay wtf......

Just wanted to share this before I end up having the transmission taken out and start adding up the bejamins on it.......

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for codes first.

Originally Posted by Cks69
Hello guys, I am back with more info on my car......

I finally took out the car from my friends yard and looking forward to the transmission issues.......

I want to update on the details........

First of all, the reverse has the same symptoms as the forward gears......it will slip, rev up, and gradually build up speed. at first I felt as if reverse was working as it should.

So transmission slips both forward and reverse, then after speed builds up, it will not slip anymore. It still goes in to limp mode.

But something odd happened.........I had the car running for about 3-40 minutes to get the battery some juice, I went in to D and moved forward, and the car did not rev up, had full power on D for about 10 seconds and then back to limp mode........its maybe nothing, but made me s ay wtf......

Just wanted to share this before I end up having the transmission taken out and start adding up the bejamins on it.......

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stuck trans woo's

Not to positive to mess with a unused/sticky transmission without some sort of help.

A little exercise before blowing down the road is a big positive.

A full service is a good place to start (and add a can of Sea Foam) without flushing the unit.

Jack the car off the ground and let it idle until it warms up and shift it through the gears with the brakes set first. Check for leaks and if none are located allow the transmission to rotate without the brakes.. again check for leaks.

If you are lucky enough to have progressed this far, go to ground and "GINGERLY" motor around the block a few times.. again check for leaks.

Treat it like an old man getting out of bed before you beat on it. Drive it a few weeks and do another transmission service, mostly to see if anything out of the ordinary has found its way into the pan.

I've had very good success with Allison Transmission Spec Fluid. (Amsoil)

If nothing out of the ordinary shows in the pan, a short dance of joy is in order.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tozoM8
Check for codes first.
Well, I cannot get any codes right now. Some sob broke in to my 92 100cs and took everything he could ger his hands on....so I aml sol with getting the codes....I am between buying the cable again, or see if a friend of mine (locksmith) will have time so I can use his.

Now on another side note....my dads mechanislc has been kinda busy lately, so he has not started taking down the transmission.....but, yesterday I was replacing a door glass and startwd the car so that the battery could get,some juice in, and after the car was warn and I had finished replacing the glass, I put the car in D with the brakes on and noticed that it did not do the same thing it does when the car is cold....when cold....that is, I would put the car in D and feel it kick in, after abouf a second or two, I would feel the transmission "disengage" or feel like it went to D to N wben the car was in D.... now, when the car is warm, I put in in D, feel it kick in and stay there, go forward as normal, but after I step on the gas abd try to go forward with more power, it goes to limp mode..

Maybe its nothing, but just want to share every little detail. Someone might go thru the same experience as me, and find this usefull......

Last edited by Cks69; 11-12-2011 at 10:31 AM.